Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Unable to save configuration to NVRAM

Hello Guys,

I would request your expertise on this matter..

We have two 3845 routers acting as H 323 Gateways and we are facing troubles writing to NVRAM only for  one gateway when we try c3825-ipvoicek9-mz.124-24.T3.bin as IOS. When we tried to write the configuration into one gateway we are getting  NVRAM Verification Failed error message and the second gateway running smoothly on the above mentioned IOS version. We had already RMA ed the device, but the issue persists. We have TAC opened for this and Cisco advised Bug ID : CSCth54071 for this issue, but the miracle thing is that the other gateway is using the same IOS but no Bugs affected !

Can anybody please provide a workaround with that we can run the gateway without omitting anything from our current config.Your help will be highly appreciated..

Many Thanks,

-:Anoop

IPT L3 Engineer..

6 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Gold

Re: Unable to save configuration to NVRAM

Ok, so you can't save the config, right?  How about saving it as a different filename?  For example, if you have a TFTP server you can run the command "copy runn tftp:///.extension".

With this command your config is saved in a secure area.

Regarding the bug, just because both of your routers are running the same IOS and one is suspected to be hitting the "bug" but the other doesn't does not eliminate the possibility of the bug. 

Hi Leolaoho,

I had reverted the affected gateway IOS to c3825-ipvoicek9-mz.124-15.T9.bin as we had a power maintenance on that site. Anyway i will request for a window for testing and let you know the oucome..

Thanks..

Hi Anoop

1) I see that you mention of having "two 3845 routers", but the IOS image reference is that of 3825. Can you please let me know which router are you using ?

2) Also on your two routers which are acting as H.323 gateways, while the IOS image being used is same. Is the running configuration on both the devices is exactly the same ?

3) Do you have "snmp-server ifindex persist" in your running configuration ?

Thanks

Arun

Cisco Employee

Hello!

This discussion does not really belong in the Bug Toolkit section of the forums, since it is not related to the Bug Toolkit tool itself.  It should be in the Network Intrafstructure area under "WAN, Routing and switching" or "Other Network Infrastructure."

However, let me see if I can help.

Moving TO 12.4(24)T3 causes the problem, rolling back to 12.4(15)T9 fixes it.?

CSCth54071 currently shows unresolved.

In some cases, this message indicates an NVRAM (actually, flash) hardware failure.  For example, if a bit is stuck off or on in the flash, checksums will pass as long as the config, as written, happens to set the broken bit(s) to the broken state.  However, if the config changes such that the stuck bit introduces an error, you will get the error message you describe.  The upgrade may have altered the configuration just enough to expose the defect.  This is just one example, there may be other hardware failures that relate to this problem.

Did you see any other error like:

amd_flash_cmd: timeout on write sectors command 
Bad configuration memory structure -- try rewriting

Those would be more surely indicative of a hardware failure.

It might be worth haivng a spare, Cisco certified compact flash card on hand (which has copies all of the items on the current card) to swap in as a test.

Its a bit of a long shot, though.  It could still be a software issue, but it would be curious that you have identical software with the same hardware that does not exhibit the problem.

Are you still working with TAC?

@ Arun,

1) I see that you mention of having "two 3845 routers", but the IOS image reference is that of 3825. Can you please let me know which router are you using ? : Sorry it was a typo, 3825 is correct.

2) Also on your two routers which are acting as H.323 gateways, while the IOS image being used is same. Is the running configuration on both the devices is exactly the same ? : Yes correct.

3) Do you have "snmp-server ifindex persist" in your running configuration ? : It is there, and if we remove it, we can write. But we are still checking to get rid of this bug without making any modification on the global 3825 configuration template.

@ Phillip

No, i can't see any other error messages

Yes, we are still working on this issue with TAC and they recommended to remove "snmp-server ifindex persist" from config. We have 40 + 3825 in APAC only, but the issue affecting only on this gateway. So we are currently follow up with cisco to provide a firm reason, so that we can ask Business for a regional change..

Thanks Both..

Cisco Employee

I would NOT remove "snmp-server ifindex persist" except as a diagnostic.  That is an enormously useful command for system management.

This certainly meems like a bug - since the "snmp-server ifindex persist" command creates private NVRAM space, I suspect you probably have some kind of corrupted pointer somewhere.

One option is to do an erase /all nvram: which wipes out all provate configuration data.  Beware that this will also erase any crypto keys you have, so use it with caution.  That might clear out any stale, corrupted or confusing private nvram data you have in place.

We even have a field notice for a similar issue: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/ts/fn/620/fn62645.html

I don't know if it applies, but it is one thing to try.  Make sure you have a good backup of the config data!

There is still a bug that this happens, but it could just be an unusual sequence of events that got you there.

Views
Helpful
Replies