Views
Helpful
Replies

CCNP Path

Daniel Dimkin
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

I am moving from Linux Field to Cisco. Saved some money, quit my job, have enough time to study, passed my CCNA and study now for CCNP R&S.

So far so good - but as you all know CCNP is much harder and I wonder maybe I should just pass Route and then try to find some job/project to gather hands-on experience. 

If you had enough time like me - would you pass all three - Route, Switch and Tshoot or would you pass only Route for example and then try to find a job?

Wouldn't be too much to get all certs without any practical experience? I have 3 x 3550 switches at home and I do lots of labs in GNS3 but still...

If I only pass Route I would still have two more "shots" later when I need to renew my certification and also save some money..  although saving the money isn't the biggest point here.

I tend to believe passing all three is maybe best. Assuming I pass all then in three years do I have to go for another CCNP certification (or higher) or can I go e.g. for CCNA Security (lower) to renew my status?

Thanks very very much!!

Daniel

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Everybody learns a bit differently but for me experience is the best teacher. I would try to get a job that gives you experience with routing and switching as soon as possible.

When I hire someone I would rather they have more hands on experience than certifications - all other things being equal. The certifications are useful but only one indicator of a person's ability and interests. The industry is full of people who have crammed to pass the test but cannot setup or troubleshoot a network on their own. Some employers require a certain certification or another but many will waive that requirement if you can demonstrate sound knowledge.

Once you have a CCNP, you can keep it current by passing any of the Professional level (or higher) exams within 3 years of earning the CCNP. An Associate level exam will not suffice to keep CCNP-level certification current. Details on that are published here.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Everybody learns a bit differently but for me experience is the best teacher. I would try to get a job that gives you experience with routing and switching as soon as possible.

When I hire someone I would rather they have more hands on experience than certifications - all other things being equal. The certifications are useful but only one indicator of a person's ability and interests. The industry is full of people who have crammed to pass the test but cannot setup or troubleshoot a network on their own. Some employers require a certain certification or another but many will waive that requirement if you can demonstrate sound knowledge.

Once you have a CCNP, you can keep it current by passing any of the Professional level (or higher) exams within 3 years of earning the CCNP. An Associate level exam will not suffice to keep CCNP-level certification current. Details on that are published here.

You hiring soon? :) I am kidding.. Thanks for your detailed answer - I might then just go for CCNP Route and invest the rest of the effort in doing more labs and then find a job. 

Of course I will be glad to hear more opinions.

Hi,

We have unpublished the content. 

If you have any more questions on this topic, suggest you check out the Cisco Learning Network Community, they will be able to help answer anything specific about any of the exams or certifications.

Thanks,

Naga

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: