Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ESW-520-48p to HP Procurve

Hi

Firstly yes I appreciate this is a CISCO community but I just wished to ask a mix question.

We have a UC560 coupled with ESW-520-48p currently - however we are needing to expand how many ip phones we currently have.

I have a spare Procure POE switch that if I can use would be ideal as opposed to spending £££'s on another ESW  - is this do-able?

Do I just need to setup the procurve vlans - add a trunk port for communication & voila?

I havent tried physically yet as didnt want to spend wasted time on it if its not a viable solution.!!

Thanks in anticipation of an yasistance given. :-)

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The HP Procurve switch probably won't have CDP so those phones will not have a concept of a voice VLAN. You could manually configure the ports to be trunk ports and manually set an Operational VLAN on the phone though. Same effect, just not automatic. Depending on the phone model, they may support LLDP-MED though which is a standard and the HP switch may support. If both the switch and phone support this, you can accomplish the "automatic" voice VLAN experience that way.

The other thing would be QoS. You would need to handle this in whatever way an HP switch does. Cisco phones will apply both layer two ToS (if on a trunk port) and layer three CoS headers to their packets. You'll probably want to think through that. Don't forget to trust ToS or CoS on the Cisco switch where you uplink the HP to.

Other than that it's normal Ethernet and would work just fine.

View solution in original post

Hi,

Just to echo what Jonathan mentioned.

1. First thing is to look for LLDP-MED. This will help to extend auxiliary VLAN and power requirements between switch and phones

2. If LLDP-MED isn't present, you can still configure access ports on the phones or trunk ports with operational vlan configured manually on the switch. However, this will provide the following restrictions:

a. Phones will be operating at max PoE power as they won't be able to negotiate the exact power requirement. This will impact the capacity of the switch to power phones

3. I suggest to use MQC on Cisco switch to classify voice traffic only and untrust rest of the traffic.  Trusting the trunk between Cisco and HP switch might be risky as you might have other endpoints connected to HP switch

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The HP Procurve switch probably won't have CDP so those phones will not have a concept of a voice VLAN. You could manually configure the ports to be trunk ports and manually set an Operational VLAN on the phone though. Same effect, just not automatic. Depending on the phone model, they may support LLDP-MED though which is a standard and the HP switch may support. If both the switch and phone support this, you can accomplish the "automatic" voice VLAN experience that way.

The other thing would be QoS. You would need to handle this in whatever way an HP switch does. Cisco phones will apply both layer two ToS (if on a trunk port) and layer three CoS headers to their packets. You'll probably want to think through that. Don't forget to trust ToS or CoS on the Cisco switch where you uplink the HP to.

Other than that it's normal Ethernet and would work just fine.

Well just to update - tried to link to the ESW520 - couldnt get it working - tried to link directly to expansion port on the UC560 Telephony - it give the vlan an ip from dhcp but the phone powered up but couldnt connect - unsure as to why but hit a brick wall  - just wish I had a virtual tool that covered both cisco and hp - then I could play with settings to get it right - thanks for your input though guys - its my limited knowledge letting me down not you guys :-)

BR

Paul

Hi,

Just to echo what Jonathan mentioned.

1. First thing is to look for LLDP-MED. This will help to extend auxiliary VLAN and power requirements between switch and phones

2. If LLDP-MED isn't present, you can still configure access ports on the phones or trunk ports with operational vlan configured manually on the switch. However, this will provide the following restrictions:

a. Phones will be operating at max PoE power as they won't be able to negotiate the exact power requirement. This will impact the capacity of the switch to power phones

3. I suggest to use MQC on Cisco switch to classify voice traffic only and untrust rest of the traffic.  Trusting the trunk between Cisco and HP switch might be risky as you might have other endpoints connected to HP switch

Hi

Sorry thought it was procurve but just checked model its a HP 2530

from specs sheet

Voice VLAN uses LLDP-MED to automatically configure a VLAN for IP phones

So think I may be able to use it to extend the ESW - just wish I could plan it better on paper first - gonna see if I can configure tomorrow while no one sin the office 

Thankyou for you replies Jonathan and Mohammed

BR

Paul

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: