cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Funny Story on The telco fix to LOF on PRI

burleyman
Level 8
Level 8

One of our offices in China has been having issues with our PRI where it would see Loss of Frame and AIS and would just go down for about 10 seconds or so. Did not have that great of an impact to the users as most times it was off hours so the users were not there. It went on for a couple months where the Telco would say they would do something and nothing resolved the issue. I was finally able to get them to come to our site and check their equipment and do some tests. Well they ran some tests and they said they may have found the problem...woooo woooo! The person in our office said they found a loose connection and they put a "stick" in it. Well I took the language barrier in to account and figured they found the RJ-45 connector was not snapping in place so they fixed it so it now "stuck" in place, hence them saying "stick". Now we did joke here maybe they stuck a little stick in to hold it. Ha ha ha ha! Well I had them take a picture just to make sure. What they did to resolve the LOF and what they meant by "stick" now became clear ( see attached picture) The white "sticks" are what the telco used to fix our issue....wow! who would have thunk! Now needless to say that did not fix the problem...go figure! They came in again and ran more tests and they now found a piece of their equipment was faulty and they replaced and now all is good.

Enjoy,

Mike

3 Replies 3

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hey Mike,

I know I'm pretty thick sometimes (most of the time )

But I just don't see the correlation between the photo and the story.

Cheers!

Huff

You know it was funny to me but I can see where a little more explaining might be needed.

I was seeing Loss of Frame (LOF) and Alarm Indication Signal (AIS) which ussally indicates an issue with the remote side. After a month of back and forth I was able to get a tech on site and what they did rather than looking at thier equipment they zip tied the power strip to the rack (the picture) and said that should fix my LOF and AIS issues...really? that was news to me. Well needless to say the errors continued and after a second trip they tested thier equipment, must not have had any more power strips that need to be zip tied, and the equipment was bad. They replaced it and it now works.

Mike

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hey Mike,

Ok ......I get it now buddy +5

I was expecting to see something different....but then again I guess

you were as well. Hahahahahaha!

You never know though .....the LoFA may have been caused by the

power bar ....Hahahahahaha

Thanks for some good humor for a Friday!

Cheers!

Huff