Cisco Support Community
Community Member

Getting Started Help

Hello all I am new to cisco and want to get started learning.  No experience but I am college educated so I do know how to learn quickly.  My first question is should I take a training class or read the material and learning tools and study guides?

Cisco Employee

Hello mrkpowell31,

Hello mrkpowell31,

Welcome to the exciting world of networking. To get started on this journey you can aim to fortify the basics of this domain. The CCENT or the entry level courses will help. Focusing on the fundamentals is paramount as you will be building on top of that for the rest of your networking career.

The CCENT course has the basics to the networking technologies that were prevalent, that are in use and a glimpse of the future. You can go to the Cisco learning network and check the courses/certifications offered by Cisco. Here's the link--

Cisco Learning Network

Navigate to the certifications tab and you can check the entire portfolio available for you to conquer, plus you can check the community tab and find study groups where you can exchane knowledge with like minded individuals and progress towards your goal.

I hope this helps and all the best for your endeavours.

Edit: It is advisable that you take some courses, you can find the registered education partners as well in the above link. This is advised since you need hands on in a lab to get your fundamentals down. Go for a training from a registered partner along with study material and books from Cisco Press as well.

Cisco Press

CreatePlease to create content