cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

<sigh> Bean counting managerial fsck-ups!

darren.g
Level 5
Level 5

<sigh>

Scenario.

Dark fibre install between office site and client site.

Requirement.

Upgrade office switch from 2911 router with 24 port switch module to 48 port PoE switch with fibre port for connecting dark fibre, and provide suitable switch for termination of dark fibre at client site with copper link to client access point. Connection of second client off this switch via copper.

Recommendation.

WS-C3750X-48PF-S with C3KX-NM-1G for the fibre SFP at office end

WS-C3750X-12S-S for the client end (with an SFP for fibre, and a GLC-T for copper)

WS-C3750X-24T-S for additional client site located physically close enough for copper to link to dark fibre switch

Actual Purchase.

WS-C3750X-49PF-S with C3KX-NM-1G

WS-C3750X-24T-S

I went to configure the other end of the dark fibre today and said to my boss "erm, there's no SFP ports in this switch - what did we order?".

Turns out the 12S switch got canned because it was too expensive, and they decided not to connect the third client - so, naturally, they just cancelled the most expensive switch *without* asking me if the solution would still work.

Far out.

So, what have the bean counters cost you, boys and girls? Lucky for me, this is a relatively cheap (and quick) fix - I can just buy and add another C3KX-NM-1G module into the 24T-S switch - but I am just shaking my head at the damn bean counters yet again - and have done my best to encourage them to ASK before they stuff with purchase orders they don't understand.

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

We have this problematic project manager.  He "thinks" he's an IT guru but makes the same mistakes over and over again.  Unfortunately for our team, he's born with a silver tongue.  He can get away with almost anything.

So we got this project two years ago and this requires purchasing 25 units of 2960 with PoE.  Because we know our stuff, we decided the model to be WS-C2960-24PC-L.  Just what the project requires right?  Ok, so we handed all the documentation to this knuckle-head and he disappears.

Next thing we know, I got a call from the courier.  I looked out the window and sure enough, a pallet of Cisco switches was waiting for me.  Cool!

Went down and looked at the first box.  Eh?  That's not right.  Looked at the second box.  Uh-oh.  Third?  "Houston, we've got a problem.".

Bone-head ordered twenty five units of WS-C2960-24LC.

We marched up to his desk and we roared at him.  He reasoned that the "LC" is cheaper and provides PoE.  (True, the LC is indeed cheaper but will provide eight ports of PoE.)

It was even unfortunate that the building was filled with security cameras and the nut-case's desk was surrounded with eyewitnesses.  If it wasn't the case, I'd make a huge profit selling tickets to a private "show" with a number of us lining up beating his head in.

Sorry, was I being too violent?

leolaohoo wrote:

Sorry, was I being too violent?

Hell no. I think you were remarkably restrained! I'da been demanding his nuts on a plate!

+5 for both of you and your stories.  I hate to say it but I did laugh and actually almost snotted on myself!!!!  We have all been there before with the knuckleheads that have the power to make decisions.

Here is one of my favorites recently....

I looked at my manger and said, can I please get a laptop if you need me to go to our rack staging vendor to configure some equipment before it shipped to one of our remote sites.  Because, silly me, I didn't want to use my personal laptop to do work.  He looked at me and said can't you just use a desktop?  I told him that I really didn't want to hall a desktop, monitor, mouse, and keyboard to our rack staging vendor.  He looked around the room and found a laptop in someone else's cubical and said, will this work?  I looked at him and thought, REALLY?  Who's laptop is this and will they miss it?

I ended up using my personal laptop to do the work and put the other back in that cube.  I just love having very non-technical managers!!!

I do like Leo's idea of selling tickets to a good show! 

Cheers!

Kimberly

Thanks and Cheers! Kimberly Please remember to rate helpful posts.

Kimberly Adams wrote:

Here is one of my favorites recently....

I looked at my manger and said, can I please get a laptop if you need me to go to our rack staging vendor to configure some equipment before it shipped to one of our remote sites.  Because, silly me, I didn't want to use my personal laptop to do work.  He looked at me and said can't you just use a desktop?  I told him that I really didn't want to hall a desktop, monitor, mouse, and keyboard to our rack staging vendor.  He looked around the room and found a laptop in someone else's cubical and said, will this work?  I looked at him and thought, REALLY?  Who's laptop is this and will they miss it?

I ended up using my personal laptop to do the work and put the other back in that cube.  I just love having very non-technical managers!!!

Oh, I worked for a place once where that was standard practise - find a laptop that doesn't currently have someone sitting in front of it and just take it. I learned *real* quick to not store data on local hard drives in that place. I also didn't work there very long!

I don't bring my personal laptop anywhere work. If they want me to do remote work, they can damn well buy me a laptop which suits - or I'll seek employ elsewhere.

Cheers

Darren,

Yeah exactly and that is some of the reason I am looking for employ elsewhere right now!  It is always fun to work somewhere that reminds you of pre-school!  LOL.

Cheers,

Kimberly

Thanks and Cheers! Kimberly Please remember to rate helpful posts.