cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Question on scaling up AWS CSR and Cisco License

chun.ning
Level 1
Level 1

We are running CSRs in our AWS govcloud environment and we have purchased 3 year licenses for them.

```

Index 43 Feature: sec_5G
License Type: Permanent
Start Date: N/A, End Date: Aug 11 2020
License State: Active, In Use
License Count: Non-Counted
License Priority: Medium

```

Currently the CSRs are deployed using m3.xlarge and I would like to scale it up higher to c4.4xlarge to handle the anticipated increase in IPSec traffic. How would I do this?

Ideally, I would like to create an AMI of the existing CSR, shut down the old CSR, and relaunch the CSR AMI with a bigger EC2 instance type. Would the Cisco license magically work on the new CSR?

Thank you

- Alan

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Update:
It turns out that I can just stop the CSR, and change the instance type to scale up vertically. Since the UDI did not change, the license did not need to be updated.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

jessedavis
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Alan,

You'll need to use the rehost process via email with Cisco. You'll need to send the old (source) CSR instance UDI information, and the new (target) CSR instance UDI information. Cisco support will generate a new license (.lic) file which you'll install into flash on the new CSR instance.

Hope this helps,

Jesse

Update:
It turns out that I can just stop the CSR, and change the instance type to scale up vertically. Since the UDI did not change, the license did not need to be updated.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: