cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Intelligent Proximity making a comeback to C-series in TC7.1.2

Jens Didriksen
Level 9
Level 9

I'm hearing Intelligent Proximity will be re-introduced in the Experimental Settings menu in the C-series as of TC7.1.2 due out in May.

It will be an unsupported feature, so no more developments or bug fixes can be expected (but then Cisco also said JabberVideo 4.5 would be last, and we're now up to 4.8...) smiley

Maximum simultaneous connections; C20/40/MX200/MX300: 3, C60/90/EX60/EX90 - 5.

I'm sure one of the Cisco guys here will be happy to confirm this?

/jens

Please rate replies and mark question(s) as "answered" if applicable.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Magnus Ohm
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Jens

I can confirm that C-Series will get the experimental BYOD feature back but let me provide some more details so I can kill any rumors that is about to bloom.

With TC 7.1, Proximity was removed as a configuration for EX, MX G1 and C-series products. The main driver was performance limitations of those platforms. Even though basic features of Proximity work, our testing revealed that we cannot support all call scenarios and we have capacity issues when more participants join a session simultaneously. Focusing on new platforms would allow us to move forward faster with new innovations – enhancing the proximity solution.

The change in TC 7.1 raised numerous concerns that this would severely limit our abilities to demonstrate the value of this great feature to our customers in the short term. We have therefore decided to reintroduce experimental Proximity support for the above products in TC7.1.2, targeted for May.

We do this while making it very clear that this is an unsupported feature that will not see further development and bug fixing on the EX, MX G1 and C-series platform. This means no TAC support for the feature itself, and also TAC requesting customers to turn off Proximity for problem resolution on other issues.

Proximity as a fully supported feature is on the roadmap for SX and MX G2 products, targeting a release in late CY2014.

Endpoint support with TC 7.1.2

API availability

TAC support

Max connections

TX

Not available

unsupported preview2

EX60, EX90

Experimental

No

C20, C40

Experimental

No

C60, C90

Experimental

No

MX200 G1, MX300 G1

Experimental

No

Full support by late 20141

SX10

Full

By release

SX20

Full

By release

SX80

Full

By release

MX200 G2, MX300 G2

Full

By release

MX700, MX800

Full

By release

Full support by late 2014, still in the experimental API with TC 7.1.2

2 For testing and demonstration purposes; no further development or bug fixes planned, no current or future support.

Hope this information was useful for you.

/Magnus

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Magnus Ohm
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Jens

I can confirm that C-Series will get the experimental BYOD feature back but let me provide some more details so I can kill any rumors that is about to bloom.

With TC 7.1, Proximity was removed as a configuration for EX, MX G1 and C-series products. The main driver was performance limitations of those platforms. Even though basic features of Proximity work, our testing revealed that we cannot support all call scenarios and we have capacity issues when more participants join a session simultaneously. Focusing on new platforms would allow us to move forward faster with new innovations – enhancing the proximity solution.

The change in TC 7.1 raised numerous concerns that this would severely limit our abilities to demonstrate the value of this great feature to our customers in the short term. We have therefore decided to reintroduce experimental Proximity support for the above products in TC7.1.2, targeted for May.

We do this while making it very clear that this is an unsupported feature that will not see further development and bug fixing on the EX, MX G1 and C-series platform. This means no TAC support for the feature itself, and also TAC requesting customers to turn off Proximity for problem resolution on other issues.

Proximity as a fully supported feature is on the roadmap for SX and MX G2 products, targeting a release in late CY2014.

Endpoint support with TC 7.1.2

API availability

TAC support

Max connections

TX

Not available

unsupported preview2

EX60, EX90

Experimental

No

C20, C40

Experimental

No

C60, C90

Experimental

No

MX200 G1, MX300 G1

Experimental

No

Full support by late 20141

SX10

Full

By release

SX20

Full

By release

SX80

Full

By release

MX200 G2, MX300 G2

Full

By release

MX700, MX800

Full

By release

Full support by late 2014, still in the experimental API with TC 7.1.2

2 For testing and demonstration purposes; no further development or bug fixes planned, no current or future support.

Hope this information was useful for you.

/Magnus

Thanks Magnus,

yes I was aware it was not about to "bloom", nice to get it back though so I can demo it to our users, teaching and learning technologies staff as well as our support staff.cool

Thanks for officially confirming the "comeback" and putting it all into context, very much appreciated. smiley

/jens

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: