Views
Helpful
Replies

Number of CWS users on a ASA5510

sossie
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

We have 2 x ASA5510's and about 250 users and are keen to trial CWS.

The datasheets say the 5510's only support 75 CWS users.

Does anyone know if this is just a "recommended maximum"?

Does it count all users, or just concurrnent browsing sessions?

E.g. if I have 250 users but at any one time, ony 50 are browsing the web, via a redirection on the ASA to the CWS, will I be ok performance wise?

Thanks, Simon

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Thanks Joe,

I have to update the whitepaper link; I will share the new values that will be presented at Cisco Live!

Best regards,

Juan Ramos
TAC Escalation Engineer
Cisco Cloud Web Security Americas

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

jgoldyn
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Simon,

Sizing is based on total named users that were tested with certain traffic profile.  You can exceed the limit but you will most likely experience performance degradtion as exceeding the recommended sizing numbers is not recommended.

Notes below from http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/security/adaptive-security-appliance-asa-software/whitepaper_C11-715169.pdf

Note on sizing: 
a. Sizing for Cloud Web Security (CWS) is based on named users. This isn’t concurrent users but total number 
of users who may browse the internet 
b. Tests used HTTP traffic with 32K object size—every single HTTP GET was answered by an object 32K in size 
c. Peak bandwidth per seat is 20 Kbps (measured on a 95th percentile basis) 
d. Traffic profile: HTTP—88% and HTTPS—12% 
e. Tests were run with authentication using IDFW and the test setup designed such that every GET request 
would make the ASA apply a header to each request 
f. Actual internet traffic profile may vary based on usage, but Cisco strongly recommends that customers 
adhere to the sizing guidelines above 

Thanks,

Joe

Thanks Joe,

I have to update the whitepaper link; I will share the new values that will be presented at Cisco Live!

Best regards,

Juan Ramos
TAC Escalation Engineer
Cisco Cloud Web Security Americas