Views
Helpful
Replies

Coolest Features of new NetPro (CSC)

marikakis
Level 7
Level 7

Hello all,

You can post here which features from the new site you like the most and why. The goal is twofold. On the one hand, you can suggest or give hints to others about how to get the best of the new site. On the other hand, we can all have the chance to say a more elaborate 'thank you' to the people who work in front of and behind the scenes for the new site to be up, running and continuously improving. To better serve the second purpose (and minimize post-migration losses ), let's try to avoid talking about bugs here!

The title of this thread is taken actually from Dan's suggestion in very long thread, which was recently closed by Dan (that's how the Guinness record for the longest thread ever got lost, despite our strong efforts in that direction ). As I was saying in that historical thread, I like the 'Incoming Links' feature found in pages which have CSC documents. If you embed a link in a post of yours in a Discussion, and link points to a document in CSC, when you go back to the document you can see a reverse association of the document with the Discussion. Here is an example document:
https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-2193
I find this useful because if search leads someone to a document and they have more questions, they can go to the relevant discussions easily and perhaps find additional information or perhaps avoid opening a discussion for things that have already been discussed. As for those who write the documents, they can update them more easily if an error or additional information is found from the associated Discussions.

In that long thread I also referred to the modules placed at the bottom of cisco.com documents (which point back to CSC Discussions) and I was not very enthusiastic with those at the time. However, as Dan pointed out, those are now much better than they used to be in the old NetPro era. I had seen those modules being ported to the new site from an appearance perspective, but was prejudiced and hadn't explored them further. I went to the following document (yes, I "randomly" chose one that talks about BGP ):
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094925.shtml
and had the pleasure of reading the following discussion:
https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/203391
For those of you who might have similar prejudices, I would recommend not to miss them when some cisco.com document puzzles you or need more information on a topic covered by the document you are reading. Overall, I think 'Incoming Links' next to CSC documents and modules at the bottom of cisco.com documents complement each other as methods to associate documents with Discussions. They both need some type of intelligence, either automated and/or human, so I guess which method performs better for each topic will depend on various factors.

Best Regards,

Maria

16 Replies 16

Hi Maria,

Ooopps!

First double post here...sorry about that

Cheers!

Huff

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Maria,

Back to the question @ hand (loved the fastball reference +5)

I took Dan's advice and went to the "My View" page, excellent

way to customise the NetPro look and feel. Great tips my friend.+5

Cheers!

Huff

Quick Links