cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

I don't see new topics on the website but my iphone does.

Hi CSC Ideas,

Have you guys experienced this problem? I did try to refresh the webpage. It won't help.

TIA,

Toshi

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

anogno
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Toshi,

The behavior you are seeing is not abnormal.  There are several web servers servicing the community, and each one will not all have *exactly* the same view of a discussion thread.

The web server cluster maintains a cache of information.  The "authoratative" version of the information is stored in the database, but database access is much slower and expensive in terms of processing.  To avoid taxing the database, each web server determines when to go to the cache for information verses the database. 

The scenario you describe could be played out as follows.  When you posted your reply from your iPhone, a  request was made of one web server, so the response will show up instantly on the iPhone.  If you then accessed this through a browser, you might be serviced by a different web server, who has an outadated version of the thread (ie retrieves is from cache).  In this case, the browser's view does not catch the update.

Either way, the updates are making it to the database, and, after a timeout period, the information is available uniformly throughout the cluster.

Hope that makes sense,

Anton

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Hi,

I mean CSC Apps on IPhone does. As far as I've seen is in WAN/LAN section.

TIA,

Toshi

Hi,

Could you give us an example (which discussion) you see on your iPhone app, but not on CSC on the Web?

Tom Yoritaka, Director, Cisco Support Community

Hi Tom,

Many thanks for your reply. For example I didn't see this thread : https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2092415?tstart=0  on the web site. I just replied it via Apps on IPhone and then it showed up. I just tried to delete my reply for testing that's why it didn't show my reply there. I'm not sure about the problem.

Many Thanks,

Toshi

Hi,

Thank you.

I do see the discussion thread on the Web myself.

What error message, if any, do you see when you access the discussion on the Web?

Tom

Hi Tom,

I didn't see any error. Again I didn't see this thread : https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2092457?tstart=0 on the website but I saw it on Apps on IPhone. I replied to it and then it showed up.

Many Thanks

Toshi

Hi Toshi,

Let me pass this along to our IT team.  Out of curiosity is it only new threads that aren't showing up?  I'm guessing it's a short delay due to caching so we can improve overseas performance.

Cheers,

Dan

Cheers, Dan

anogno
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Toshi,

The behavior you are seeing is not abnormal.  There are several web servers servicing the community, and each one will not all have *exactly* the same view of a discussion thread.

The web server cluster maintains a cache of information.  The "authoratative" version of the information is stored in the database, but database access is much slower and expensive in terms of processing.  To avoid taxing the database, each web server determines when to go to the cache for information verses the database. 

The scenario you describe could be played out as follows.  When you posted your reply from your iPhone, a  request was made of one web server, so the response will show up instantly on the iPhone.  If you then accessed this through a browser, you might be serviced by a different web server, who has an outadated version of the thread (ie retrieves is from cache).  In this case, the browser's view does not catch the update.

Either way, the updates are making it to the database, and, after a timeout period, the information is available uniformly throughout the cluster.

Hope that makes sense,

Anton

Hi,

Many thanks for all of you.

Kind Regards,

Toshi

Quick Links