Views
Helpful
Replies

CWMS hybrid deployment

oliverpowell
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I'm looking for some clarification on deploying CWMS in a hybrid configuration.

This used to be achieved with Meetingplace server hosting the audio conference, but using Webex in the cloud for web conf.

Is this still an option with CWMS? Meetingplace is now EOL

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Oli

6 Replies 6

dpetrovi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Oli,

CWMS doesn't support hybrid configuration. CWMS is a full on-premise conferencing solution where you get voice, video, and web conferencing hosted on CWMS entirely with no need for the Cloud connection or any kind of subscription.

I hope this helps.

-Dejan 

Thanks Dejan,

I thought it might be the case.

Is there a hybird solution available? Would this be Cisco UC Integration for WebEx Connect and then used CWMS as audio only on premise? Can CWMS be audio bridge only now that Meetingplace is EOL?

Thanks

Oli

Hi Oli,

CWMS is not designed to be just pure Audio Conferencing bridge. It has many differences compared to MeetingPlace. For example:

1. In regular meetings that include web portion, you don't have any DTMF options for managing a meeting and participants

2. If you schedule a regular meeting, but want to join only audio, there is no possibility to set meeting password for audio only participants

3. If you want audio only meetings, you would have to use Personal Conferencing:

Personal Conferencing

Release 1.5 introduces the concept of Personal Conferencing, which  lets you quickly start the audio portion of a WebEx meeting at any time.   Meeting hosts and invitees dial a WebEx call-in number and enter the  appropriate codes to start or join the meeting. If necessary, you and  your participants can join the online meeting, which is started along  with the audio portion of the meeting. This feature must be enabled from  the Administration site and meeting hosts must create a Personal  Conference account and PIN.

Here you can find more information about how to use Personal Conferencing and what the limitations are:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/collaboration/CWMS/1_5/User_Guide/User_Guide_chapter_010.html#concept_3C32DA79805A45E8BE3866EFB7E07DB9 

Still, there is no way you can host web conferencing somewhere else, and use CWMS as audio only bridge and connect the two.

I hope this helps.

-Dejan

P.S. Is there a specific reason why you would like to use WebEx SaaS for web conferencing and then CWMS for audio only?

The reason they may want a hybrid solution is to use Webex Connect with Jabber.

When using Jabber for Windows with webex connect (cloud) you get the full feature set including desktop sharing. Desktop sharing is only a option with "on premise" Jabber when deployed as a softphone client with CUCM. It is not available when only using it as a IM client with IM&P. The customer only intends to use Jabber to control the deskphone and not use as a softphone due to citrix restrictions.

A fairly long winded and seamingly unrelated reason as to why they are asking I know!

I see.

Jabber for Windows can integrate with CWMS for conferencing piece, but how it integrates with WebEx Connect  is out of my expertise so I can't comment on that. 

-Dejan

Another reason is they would like to keep the audio only on premise but not have to worry about the webex side.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: