Views
Helpful
Replies

CWMS Upgrade - 1.1 to 2.0

Ross Cotton
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, we have a client who wants to upgrade their CWMS from 1.1 to 2.0

The documentation says that this requires approx. 1TB of free disk space so they have already purchased extra drives and cables to go into their server.

I would like to know the procedure for adding these drives, is it as simple as powering down the server, installing the drives, then booting into the raid config utility and extending the existing partition?  I have done this sort of thing before on Stadiumvision servers, but they werent running ESXi.  Obviously we don’t want to adversely affect any existing data.

Thanks

Ross

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Brad Martin
Level 3
Level 3

I had to do add disk to upgrade CWMS using Cisco UCS-C220-M3 servers and was not able to increase the raid size without rebuilding the system. I copied the existing vm guests to another server, added the drive and then rebuilt the esxi host and copied the guests back.

Cisco doc Cisco UCS Servers RAID Guide outlines some of the options for raid management.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Brad Martin
Level 3
Level 3

I had to do add disk to upgrade CWMS using Cisco UCS-C220-M3 servers and was not able to increase the raid size without rebuilding the system. I copied the existing vm guests to another server, added the drive and then rebuilt the esxi host and copied the guests back.

Cisco doc Cisco UCS Servers RAID Guide outlines some of the options for raid management.

Benjamin Kern
Level 1
Level 1

Hey Ross,

had the same issue / challenge.

It depends on your platform and RAID which are you using.

CWMS supports RAID 10 and RAID 5.

With RAID 10, you have to put CWMS into maintenance mode, shut down the VMs and shut down the server. After putting in the HDDs, you have to rebuild the complete server including installing ESX. When done, you can copy back the VMs and start them up.

With RAID 5, you can easily put in the HDDs and add them to the RAID. This will increase your discspace as well.

Hope this hepls

Best regards

Ben

so the servers they have contain 4 500GB drives configured in a RAID10 and we have installed 2 more 1TB drives configured in a RAID1

we have added the new RAID1 space into the existing vmware datatstore, will this work?  surely if its vmware it doesnt matter what the RAID setting is?

thanks

ross

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: