Views
Helpful
Replies

CWMS VM Co-Residency and Specification Based Support

mfrangipane
Level 1
Level 1

Can you please confirm the following;

1- CWMS is not supported using "Specification Based Virtualization" support on 3rd Party HW

2- CWMS does not support co-residency with any other Cisco UC or 3rd party applications.

9 Replies 9

RON ROYSTON
Level 1
Level 1

It can be loaded on anything, including spec-based, provided you meet the hardware requirements.

If this helps, please click answered.  Thank you!

according to the virtualization guide only UCS is supported for now

http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/Virtualization_for_Cisco_WebEx_Meetings_Server

unfortunately....

The Cisco Unified Workforce Optimization Installation Guide 10.0 says otherwise.

WFM in a Virtual Server Environment
A virtual server environment requires hardware resources equivalent to those required
for a physical server for a given number of users.

You're right.  However, searching the WebEx System Requirements yeilds no such requirement.

I believe that link you have is stale.  

Have you asked Cisco TAC, or your Cisco sales person about this?

RON ROYSTON
Level 1
Level 1

Oops, you were asking about Webex Meetings Server!

Cisco WebEx Meetings Server Planning Guide and System Requirements Release 2.5 says CWMS is supported on 3rd party compute.

I don't see it mentions anything related to 3rd party support in that document.

here is what TAC says about it: "As discussed the CWMS 2.5 is only supported on Cisco UCS hardware. Since your installation is on HP blades, we won’t be able to continue as I intended (raise this with BU). Please discuss this internally with the Account team and let me know if there is anything else I can assist you with."

I believe it will come with 3.0 release.

I am also suffering from "UCS-only" enforcement of Cisco with CWMS. everything became spec-based (UCCE, CUCM, CUIC), why not CWMS? why would cisco ever bother with what hardware I have as long as I have vmware on top of it???

RON ROYSTON
Level 1
Level 1

Where do you see UCS is required?  Admin guide don't say it.

"Cisco WebEx Meetings Server is a software-based solution. It is not a combination hardware/software package. You have choices on how to purchase and provision your hardware platforms as long as the hardware meets or exceeds CPU, memory, and storage requirements."

RON ROYSTON
Level 1
Level 1

1- UCS is not required for CWMS (see WebEx System Requirements).  The virtualization guide Wiki page is incorrect and needs updating.

2- CWMS does support co-residency w UC Apps.  No link but I saw it.  It's online.

Hi,

We have an open case with cisco (SR 633180771), I am re-pasting the business units reply about the 3rd party hardware support:

"As discussed the CWMS 2.5 is only supported on Cisco UCS hardware. Since your installation is on HP blades, we won’t be able to continue as I intended (raise this with BU). Please discuss this internally with the Account team and let me know if there is anything else I can assist you with."

Yes, as you say, the admin guide says: "Cisco WebEx Meetings Server is a software-based solution. It is not a combination hardware/software package. You have choices on how to purchase and provision your hardware platforms as long as the hardware meets or exceeds CPU, memory, and storage requirements." BUT, the very next paragraph continues like this: "You may deploy Cisco WebEx Meetings Server on Cisco UCS Servers that meet our minimum specifications. Or you may choose to deploy this product on newer and higher-end UCS Servers that exceed our minimum specifications. "

So the documentation is misleading.

Anyways, we are a customer who have been runnin CWMS on non-UCS hardware and we didnt face any performance issues. But if you come to a point where support is needed from TAC, they wont support it.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: