Views
Helpful
Replies

Help installing Webex Meeting Server OVA

Ess Emque
Level 1
Level 1

Hey guys,

I have worked with CUCM, CUP, Jabber etc for many years but am completely new to deploying Webex so decided to use it in my lab to make myself more familiar with the product and how to install it.

I have downloaded the OVA from the order link and am trying to deploy it but having no success - just as note, I am using eSXI 5.1, not vCenter.

Firstly, I am choosing a 50 user deployment but I don't understand the difference between:

50 Users Admin

50 Users Reverse Proxy

The Admin deployment says it includes an (optional) internet reverse proxy. Do I need only the admin deployment or do I need both? I know I don't need the Media and Web deployments as the planning guide says these are included in the Admin 50 user deployment.

Anyway, I am following the Cisco guide on how to deploy the OVA file here -

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/collaboration/CWMS/b_administrationGuide_chapter_011.html

I can follow it along to the section where it says:

12. Enter the following  information for the virtual machine, then select Next:

I don't get anywhere where I can enter this type of information. Instead it skips straight from the "Network Mapping" to "Ready to complete", then when I power on the machine, I get stuck at this screen and nothing happens:

CWMS.png

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Derek Johnson
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

The reason why vCenter is a requirement is due to the use of vApp properties to set the network parameters in step 12. Without these parameters the system has no network details and will not boot.

A standalone admin node is all that is needed for a fully functioning 50 user system. IRP would only be needed to provide access from an external network.

Thanks,

Derek Johnson

Conferencing TAC

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Derek Johnson
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

The reason why vCenter is a requirement is due to the use of vApp properties to set the network parameters in step 12. Without these parameters the system has no network details and will not boot.

A standalone admin node is all that is needed for a fully functioning 50 user system. IRP would only be needed to provide access from an external network.

Thanks,

Derek Johnson

Conferencing TAC

Thanks Derek, so it won't be possible me to run using just vSphere client to deploy CWMS in my home lab? I haven't used vCenter before, so just in terms of pricing, is the lowest cost way I can deploy CWMS to use VMware vCenter Server Foundation, at around EUR 1,345.00?

EUR 1,345.00

VMware vCenter Server Foundation

VMware vCenter Server Foundation

Yes as mentioned by Derek its not possible to deploy CWMS without VCenter.

VCenter license you can buy from VMware or Cisco.

Terry

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

CSCO12047636
Level 1
Level 1

what to do if there is no step 12 during the initial installation? which carry out settings?

That shouldn't be happening. You must have this step to define network parameters.

Can you share some screen shots of your deployment steps in vCenter?

Thanks.

-Dejan

From the screen shots it looks like you are connecting to the ESXi host directly using vSphere client. You have to use vCenter to manage ESXi host where you plan to deploy CWMS solution, and you have to run a deployment via vCenter and not connecting vSphere client directly to the ESXi host.

If you look at the documentation: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/collaboration/CWMS/2_6/Administration_Guide/Administration_Guide/Administration_Guide_chapter_010.html#task_27133E939E784414A09325B7674AF10B , it says the following:

The OVA template creates two virtual NICs for each virtual machine. However, only the Administration virtual machines uses both virtual NICs. All other Cisco WebEx Meetings Server (CWMS) virtual machines, only one virtual NIC is used and the other one is disconnected.

This procedure is provided as a general guidance. The screens you see during the OVA deployment depends upon your vCenter, storage, and networking configuration, and might be different from what is described in this procedure. See your VMware vSphere documentation for complete information on the OVA wizard.

Before You Begin

Obtain the Cisco WebEx Meetings Server OVA file for your system and place it in a location that is accessible from VMware vSphere. Use the VMware vSphere client to deploy the Administration virtual machine for your system.

You must use VMware vCenter to manage the ESXi hosts on which the Cisco WebEx Meetings Server system is deployed. Using the vSphere client, sign in to vCenter and deploy the OVA file for the Admin virtual machine.

I hope this helps.

-Dejan

Yes thank you!
You sent me to the necessary settings, but I stopped at the CWMS OVA start with the following message:

Hi,

This looks like some VMware/ESXi platform issue. I've never seen this issue before. Normally, when you install Cisco's custom ESXi image, all the parameters are set in a way to support CWMS requirements. What Cisco custom ESXi image did you use?

What kind of UCS server are you deploying this ok?

-Dejan