cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How WebEx 8.0 Connects External Users

Michael Mertens
Level 1
Level 1

We have a MeetingPlace/WebEx 8.0 deployment with an MCS WebEx Node on-prem. I am in the NorthEast U.S. and notice my MeetingPlace TSP connects to two WebEx addresses in the New York City area. (I assume this is based on RTT between either MeetingPlace or WebEx MCS node and the WebEx cloud, so the WebEx cloud finds the closest TSP servers to our site).

Anyway, I have a question how shared web content propogates from people within our organization in the Northeast U.S. to someone external who's joined the web conference from the other side of the world- Singapore, let's say:

1) Does the external user in Singapore get connected directly to my TSP server (in NYC area) via the site-URL re-directing the client to it? Or,

2) Does WebEx simply cascade our shared-content within the WebEx cloud, over to the closest WebEx TSP server to Singpapore- where the client was connected to?

Thanks for any clarification you can provide. I've read the SRND, but I didn't really see anything in there that pertained to this.

Mike.                   

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Mike,

TSP servers are only for the integration of telephony data between the Application server and WebEx. Client systems and WebEx nodes will not be communicating with them.

If you replace the reference to TSP server to be a cloud hosted WebEx node, then the above process would be correct. For step 1, this assumes that your internal connection to your internally WebEx node is faster than your connection to a cloud WebEx node, which is likely the case.

Derek Johnson

Conferencing TAC

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Derek Johnson
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Mike,

I'm having trouble understanding the behavior you're describing, but let me know if you need further clarification.

1) An external user in Sinapore that is not able to DNS resolve your internal WebEx nodes will be hosted using a WebEx cloud node located close to their network (via best RTT). Their traffic only goes between their client and the WebEx cloud.

2) For meetings that allow external users, where some internal users are being hosted on the internal WebEx node, and some external users are being hosted on the cloud, yes, WebEx meeting data and content is cascaded between the internal WebEx node and the cloud nodes that external attendees are connected to.

In addition, WebEx TSP servers for US customers are located in California and Texas, and all MeetingPlace servers will connect to those IPs, so I'm not sure what connections you are seeing to NYC.

Derek Johnson

Conferencing TAC

Derek,

You pretty much answered my question by those two points. I was assuming NYC as that was the last name that replied in my trace to the TSP addresses. With your explanation, let me re-word my question to make absolutely sure I understand:

1) I host/start a WebEx meeting from inside my network in New York. The web sharing occurs on our internal WebEX MCS node.

2) Someone from outside of our network joins from Boston, and most likely, due to RTT, connects to TSP server probably in Texas. Web sharing gets propogated from our internal WebEx MCS node to the Texas TSP server.

3) Someone from Singapore clicks on the URL, and based on RTT is pointed to some TSP server in Asia. The Texas TSP server now propagates the web sharing over to the Singapore node also.

Does this capture it Derek? Thank you for time/explanation.

Hi Mike,

TSP servers are only for the integration of telephony data between the Application server and WebEx. Client systems and WebEx nodes will not be communicating with them.

If you replace the reference to TSP server to be a cloud hosted WebEx node, then the above process would be correct. For step 1, this assumes that your internal connection to your internally WebEx node is faster than your connection to a cloud WebEx node, which is likely the case.

Derek Johnson

Conferencing TAC

Awesome Derek. Thank you much.

Mike.