Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Webex Meeting Server upgrade to 2.5

Hello,

we have CWMS and IRP versione: 2.0.1.2.B-AE

We want to upgrade to 2.5.1.29.B-AE, i have the ova file.

Somebody can please help me giving me the steps to follow to perform the task?

Is the upgrade of the Internet Reverse "automatic"?

Every information will be appreciated.

Giovanni

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yes, Giovanni, you can go to MR3 directly.

-Dejan

View solution in original post

25 Replies 25

dpetrovi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Giovanni,

Update from 2.0 to 2.5 is considered a minor update. Keep in mind that in documentation we recommend you update 2.0 to 2.0 MR3 or later first, and then update to 2.5. Minor updates are pretty straight forward and you don't use the OVA file for minor updates, but instead the ISO update image from Cisco.com (You would use OVA file if you were performing a MAJOR upgrade from 1.x to 2.x release).

Here you can find minor update instructions:

1. Use these for update to 2.0 MR3 or later first: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/collaboration/CWMS/2_0/Administration_Guide/Administration_Guide_chapter_01001.html

2. Use these for updating from 2.0 MR3 or later to 2.5: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/collaboration/CWMS/2_5/Administration_Guide/Administration_Guide/Administration_Guide_chapter_01001.html

Minor update updates all the components automatically as long as your system is deployed properly (NTP is running on ESXi hosts and the time is in sync on all hosts, you have enough disk space, needed ports and protocols are open/enabled on your firewall (if you have the firewall between Admin VM and IRP VM - ports requirements). 

Furthermore, if you have a 50 users system, there is currently a bug on 2.5 version that causes some issues with labels and button definitions in the GUI after the update (Bug ID: CSCur33905 ), so you may want to wait until that is resolved. If you have 250, 800, or 2000 user system, you can proceed with 2.5 version. 

Finally, here is my best practices when doing a minor update:

1. Ensure on your Dashboard that the daily backup is completed successfully (you have to have NFS storage configured on your system for backups and recordings to run. If not ,you can skip this step)
  2. Upload the update ISO file to the Datastore that CWMS Admin VM has access to.
  3. On the CWMS Dashboard, put the system into Maintenance Mode.
  4. Power off the VMs (In vCenter for each VM select Power > Shut Down Guest).
  5. Once the machines are down, take the snapshot of each VM (in vCenter for each VM create a VM snapshot).
  6. After snapshots of CWMS VMs are taken, in vCenter, power ON all the VMs.
  7. The system will boot into Maintenance Mode.
  8. Mount the update ISO image to the CD/DVD drive of the Admin VM.
  9. Initiate the update process (Go to Dashboard Admin page, click on the System tab >  Upgrade > Update (minor update).  Click Continue, let the update proceed).
  10. Once the update is completed, bring the system out of Maintenance Mode.
  11. Verify everything is up and running and test basic functions like accessing the end user page, schedule a test meeting and join it.
  12. After thorough testing and confirming everything is running as expected, proceed with removing the VM snapshots (in vCenter, for each VM ensure to remove the snapshots). This is a mandatory step as having snapshots on the system will cause serious performance degradation! Remove the snapshots within 24h after the update.

I hope this will be of help.

-Dejan

Hello Dejan,

thank you very much for your answer.

It's my first upgrade of a webex, so maybe it's a stupid question.

The IRP VM will be updated automatically launching the update on the Admin VM?

We have 50 users Admin/media and IRP deployment, so we are probably hitting the bug CSCur33905, so maybe better to wait until is solved.

Thank you

Giovanni

Hi Giovanni,

Entire system will be updated automatically when doing a Minor Update (even if you are doing a MAJOR UPGRADE, you can do that automatically or manually). Hence, all the VMs will be updated automatically, including the IRP.

As for the update, you can update to the latest Maintenance Release for 2.0. That way at least you protect your system from all the know issues, and have a stable system before moving to 2.5 later on when bugs are fixed.

-Dejan

Hello Dejan,

i am upgrading to 2.0 MR5 right now in a test environment CWMS/IRP VMs

I'll keep you updated about the result :)

Thank you for very usefull informations.

Giovanni

Update to 2.0 MR5 went fine.

Thank you for informations.

Now i'll wait for the resolution of the BUG and after that i'll update to 2.5

Question: same way? Minor update steps?

Thank you

Giovanni

Hi Giovanni,

I am glad everything went well. As for moving from 2.0 to 2.5 MRx (once it is released), you would follow the same process for Minor Update as you did for 2.0 MR5 update.

-Dejan

Hello Dejan,

do you have an idea about when will be released the new version that contains the bug fix?

Thank you

Giovanni

Hi Giovanni,

Maintenance Releases are usually released at 2 months periods (sometimes a little bit later). Based on that, we can expect these defects resolved in 2.5 MR1 (unofficial ETA second half of December 2014).

-Dejan

Hello,

how are you? Do you know if "cisco-webex-meetings-server-2.5.1.132.B.iso" solved the BUG?

Thanks

Giovanni

Hi Giovanni,

Defect CSCur33905 has been resolved in CWMS 2.5 MR1. At this time, you can proceed with updating to 2.5, and then updating to 2.5 MR1.

-Dejan

Hello Dejan,

in a test (demo) environment i performed the 2 updates, but:

- the first one went fine

- the second one no, i am not able to access administration page or "user" page

it looks like the webserver is unreachable : (

I waited 1 hour, and the same. I go to sleep now and tomorrow morning i'll try to access again.

Any idea?

Thanks

Giovanni

Another strange thing is that the IP address that should be reachable is very unstable. I can reach it for a while and after it becomes unreachable.

I am sure network is ok. It's like webex meeting server is unable to start the virtual ip address and bind all the "web-stuff" to it.

: (

Hi Giovanni,

I would advise you to open a ticket with TAC to look into that as soon as possible so your production environment doesn't get impacted for too long.

Dejan

Hello,

a little update about my adventure with webex meeting server.

I opened the case and the unique solution was restoring the VM from the backup

After that actually i updated the system to 2.5 and i'll update again the system to MR1 in a second step next days

Bye!

Giovanni

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: