Views
Helpful
Replies

Webex Migration & Upgrade 1.5 to 2.0

anis_cisco
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We have an old UCS for Webex components. It has Esxi 5.1 Webex Meeting server 1.5, &  vCenter Server on it .

We have got new UCS box. We installed Esxi 5.5, Webex Meeting Server 2.0 ( using cisco-webex-meetings-server-2.0.1.107.B-AE.ova file) & vCenter Server on it.

We don't have central storage.

We need to migrate database from Webex 1.5 to Webex 2.0.

I have gone through webex administration guide, it says it has to be under same vCenter to migrate database Attaching an Existing VMDK File to a New Virtual Machine

In my case i have different vCenter Server for both CWMS & i dont have shared/central storage.

How should i proceed to migrate the database from version 1.5 to 2.0 or how can i bring both Webex Servers under same vCentre ?

Second question, Is the CWMS upgrade ova file same as installation file cisco-webex-meetings-server-2.0.1.107.B-AE.ova or its different ?

Regards,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

dpetrovi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Anis,

Before I can provide you with some guidance, I need to know more about your system:

1. What is the size of the system?

2. Do you have High Availability?

3. Do you have IRP?

Additionally, ESXi 5.5 is not supported on CWMS 2.0 (Release Notes).

ESXi 5.5 will be supported in CWMS 2.5.

If you plan to upgrade your CWMS 1.5 to 2.0 system, you have to follow instructions documented in the Administration Guide.  As you know you can do Automatic or Manual upgrade. Still, regardless of the option you choose, your old and new CWMS systems' ESXi hosts must be managed by the same vCenter.

You don't have to  have shared storage to be able to copy VMDK files from one datastore to another. As long as your ESXi hosts are managed by the same vCenter and vCenter knows the IPs of the ESXi hosts it should have access to the local storage on those servers.This should be possible to do, so please check with VMware support for advice in regards to VMware and vCenter management. 

As for your second question, CWMS upgrade OVA file is the same file as the one for clean installation. In a nut shell, in a manual deployment, you are deploying a completely new 2.0 system from this OVA file, and then you are migrating the VMDK file.

I hope this information will help you proceed with the upgrade process.

-Dejan

View solution in original post

17 Replies 17

dpetrovi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Anis,

Before I can provide you with some guidance, I need to know more about your system:

1. What is the size of the system?

2. Do you have High Availability?

3. Do you have IRP?

Additionally, ESXi 5.5 is not supported on CWMS 2.0 (Release Notes).

ESXi 5.5 will be supported in CWMS 2.5.

If you plan to upgrade your CWMS 1.5 to 2.0 system, you have to follow instructions documented in the Administration Guide.  As you know you can do Automatic or Manual upgrade. Still, regardless of the option you choose, your old and new CWMS systems' ESXi hosts must be managed by the same vCenter.

You don't have to  have shared storage to be able to copy VMDK files from one datastore to another. As long as your ESXi hosts are managed by the same vCenter and vCenter knows the IPs of the ESXi hosts it should have access to the local storage on those servers.This should be possible to do, so please check with VMware support for advice in regards to VMware and vCenter management. 

As for your second question, CWMS upgrade OVA file is the same file as the one for clean installation. In a nut shell, in a manual deployment, you are deploying a completely new 2.0 system from this OVA file, and then you are migrating the VMDK file.

I hope this information will help you proceed with the upgrade process.

-Dejan

Hello Dejan,

Thank you so much for your details.

We have license for 50 session.

No we dont have HA & we dont have IRP even at the moment.

We have already deployed CWMS 2.0 on ESXI 5.5 & its working fine the only issue we have for now is ccwms 2.0 don't have any data ( as its fresh installation ) .. i have to restore data from ver 1.5 on it.

Admin guide has upgrade details which include to take backup from existing cwms (ver 1.5) power it off & start fresh installation of cwms 2.0 as mention in upgrade the system manually section from following guide:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/collaboration/CWMS/2_0/Administration_Guide/Administration_Guide_chapter_01010.html#reference_33BF1FFC8C334EACA4CBA2D880E3F206

For me cwms is already installed, is there any way to restore data on installed cwms server ?

Kind Regards

Will VMDK changes the ip address of cwms 2.0 to the one defined in VMDK ?

Hi,

Please, check the response I've included below to 'coniesaga' and let me know if anything explained in there clarifies your questions. In that response I covered your scenario as well and it should point out what can be the problem with your procedure. You have to follow the instructions and pay attention to that step 7 in the Manual Upgrade instructions. 

I hope this will help.

-Dejan

Hi Dejan,

I am having doubt on upgrade process.

I try to upgrade CWMS using automatic method, initially it prompt that system is taking backup & it will take 30min or longer, after completing backup system give notification that " system is backed up and ready for the upgrade... select power shutdown guest for each of Cisco webex virtual machine "

I am not sure what should be the next step .. Do i have to perform CWMS 2.0 installation ? And while installation how or from which option i will restore the data from cwms 1.5 ?

Once automatic upgrade process didnt went successful, i tried by upgrading the system using manual method:

I chaged the VMDK file location of upgraded VM to the older VM. When i start upgraded VM it gives attach error.

do you have any idea what should be next step for automatic upgrade procedure ?

And what is the solution of issue im facing with manual upgrade process.

Kind Regards

Hi,

Are you planning an upgrade on the same hardware or a different hardware (not sure if your system is related at all to the anis_cisco's system)?

If you are going to use new/different hardware for CWMS 2.0 setup, you will have to use Manual Upgrade process. 

If you are using the same hardware where your CWMS 1.5 resides, then you can do either Automatic or Manual upgrade. If you plan to do Manual Upgrade, then on the Original 1.5 System you should go to Upgrade > Major Upgrade process which will back the system up, put it in Maintenance Mode, and then ask you to gracefully power off all the VMs (Power > Shut Down Guest in vCenter). Once your 1.5 system is down, you deploy all CWMS 2.0 VMs like a brand new system and follow the instructions noted here: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/collaboration/CWMS/2_0/Administration_Guide/Administration_Guide_chapter_01010.html#reference_33BF1FFC8C334EACA4CBA2D880E3F206   Pay special attention to STEP 7 and instruction on how to configure the VM so they don't start after deployment. You would use all the same network parameters and hostnames as the original system (and since your original 1.5 system is powered off, there is no IP/hostname conflicts). Finally, once all the VMs are deployed before you power them on, you perform copying of VMDK file per instructions included in the link above and then you power ON all the VMs and your 2.0 system will come up and all the data should be there.

If you are going to use the same hardware and opt for the Automatic upgrade, then you need to ensure you follow all the prerequisites listed here (disk space, NTP settings, vCenter being accessible via FQDN and not only IP address, assign dedicated temporary IP address and hostname for 2.0 Admin Upgrade VM, and if you have IRP in DMZ, make sure that this new IP address and hostname is allowed the same access rules as the 1.5 Admin VM IP address and hostname have, finally, make sure that vSwitch configuration on ESXi host is Standard vSwitch and not Distributed vSwitch; please make sure to read all prerequisites before you start):

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/collaboration/CWMS/2_0/Administration_Guide/Administration_Guide_chapter_01010.html#concept_9552D5BDF2464C0DB4DA8EA250910651

Per instructions, you will see that while your CWMS 1.5 system is up and running, you will deploy 2.0 Admin Upgrade VM on the same ESXi host where primary 1.5 Admin VM is located. During the deployment you will assign the temporary IP and hostname to this new 2.0 Admin Upgrade VM. Your 1.5 system should be up and running through most of the deployment process, as your 2.0 Admin Upgrade VM will have to access this system (the wizard will guide you). Once all the information is pulled from 1.5 system, the upgrade process will notify you at what point you should put 1.5 system in maintenance and power off the VMs. At that time, the system will deploy all the 2.0 VMs automatically and copy the data. At the first full boot process of 2.0 system, all the original IP addresses and hostnames will be pulled to the new system, and temporary IP/hostname will be discarded. At this time, your 1.5 system is down, and your 2.0 system is up and hence there is no IP conflicts. In the end, once you verified your 2.0 system is fine and upgrade is completed successfully, you can delete 1.5 system. If something goes wrong during the upgrade process, all you need to do is power down 2.0 VMs, and power on 1.5 VMs and the system will come back up as it was before the upgrade. There are no alterations being done to the original system, so you mustn't take any snapshots on the original system before the upgrade. Just let it be.

I hope you will find this advice useful, but still make sure to read the official guide for detailed steps.

Kind regards,

-Dejan

Hello Dejan,

I am not sure about anis_cisco's system but i am following his/her post & ur replies, as its very useful for me.

We are upgrading on same system. I have CWMS 1.5 & CWMS 2.0 with vCenter 5.5 on UCS C series.

Looks like i have to perform CWMS 2.0 installation again as i didn't consider point 7 mentioned in admin guide.

I proceed with upgrade process as following:

I completed the installation of webex 2.0 as new with all network & hostname settings similar to cwms 1.5 and after installation it powered on automatically.

Once cwms 2.0 ready, i Shutdown both VM's (1.5 & 2.0), copied VMDK file from hard disk 4 of cwms 1.5 & paste into cwms 2.0 folder and then boot cwms 2.0 & ends up with attached error.

I will perform the activity again as you mentioned & will update you here.

Regards,

Hello Dejan,

I am following automatic procedure to upgrade.

As per admin guide "Using the vSphere client, deploy the Admin virtual machine (by using the temporary IP address) for the upgraded system by selecting the configuration with the Auto-upgrade suffix, for example 250 Users Admin Auto-upgrade."

I didnt find the option saying select Auto-upgrade. Once i start webex installation it ask do you want to go for new installation or Expand the capacity of Existing system. Screen shot is attached.

Can you guide please where i can get Auto-upgrade option ?

Regards

Hi,

The option to select Admin Auto-upgrade VM is available when you are entering parameters when starting with the deployment of the VM from OVA in vCenter where you are selecting a type of VM and the size of the system. 

Also, keep in mind that vCenter 5.5. is not yet supported with CWMS (it will be with 2.5 but not now), especially since it offers only Web Client for vCenter management where we've noticed that drop down menu for VM type selection during deployment option doesn't list all the options (scroll doesn't go all the way), so you might not see Admin Auto-upgrade VM option at all. 

-Dejan

Thank you Dejan,

I found the option in vCenter 5.5. I will proceed to downgrade it on version 5.1.

Since our original system was deployed for 50users  i will select 50 Users Admin Auto-Upgrade option.

The upgrade is schedule by the end of day today..

I will update you hope all will went perfect ( i am ready for it )

Regards,

Hello Dejan,

One question about temp hostname & temp network details like ip & DNS.

The temp hostname should be resolvable with temp IP Address using DNS server or i can use any hostname ?

Incase if its require that hostname should resolve the temp IP Address i need to escalate my client now to add temp hostname entry into DNS.

Kindly advise please

I m failing with attached error any idea ??

Hi,

Your temp IP address and hostname must be properly resolved in DNS server. The error message you are getting is pointing to the issue with DNS server either not being reachable from Admin Upgrade VM that is being deployed, or it is reachable, but temp IP address and hostname assigned to Admin Upgrade VM are not resolvable in DNS server. 

-Dejan

Hello Dejan,

I already completed the upgrade successfully.

You are right, problem was hostname entry was missing into DNS server. Once i entered hostname entry into DNS it went smooth.

The key to successful upgrade is to read each & every point carefully mentioned into admin guide.

Thank you so much Dejan for your guide towards right track & your help.

Much appreciated

Regards,

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: