Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

8.5.1 CAD Install time exceeds Downtime Window

My upgrade to from 5.x to 8.5.1 has failed due to length of time required to download and install the CAD from the UCCX server.  I have about 30 desktops that need to have the old CAD removed and the new installed at a site remote from the UCCX server.  The link is about 3mb, however the size of the download for the CAD requires (on average) 30 minutes or more at each desktop.  We have had to roll back the install because there is not enough time to complete the upgrade before the center is open again.  I have not experienced a problem like this in my previous installs.  The Cisco documentation mentions an alternative method:  

The desktop applications can be "pushed" to the Agent Desktops using an automated package distribution tool.

Can anyone enlighten me as to how to accomplish this?  Is there way to capture the MSI and take it from desktop to desktop rather than having to go through the lengthy download x30?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super Bronze

Hi

CAD-BE is good, but it's not perfect and doesn't have full feature parity with CAD.

The easy option is to simply extract the CAD install files from the DVD and install those manually from a USB key or similar. That way you can do it in advance of the upgrade if some PCs are unused, or while the server upgrade is in progress.

On 8.5 there is a folder in the root of the DVD/ISO called 'installer'. As I recall you just copy that whole folder somewhere, and run one of the exes in that folder - it prompts for server IP, language etc and generates your MSI files.

Regards

Aaron Harrison

Principal Engineer at Logicalis UK

Please rate helpful posts...

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!
5 REPLIES
Silver

You'll find the desktops on the upgrade media itself if i remember correctly. Burn the iso to dvd and have a look. You should be able to copy the .msi files to the PC before the upgrade.

Alternatively, would CAD-BE (browser edition) be an option for you while the upgrade is taking place? Agents could use this browser version until you get a chance to upgrade the clients.

Brian

I am not familiar with the CAD-BE...I need to look into that possibility....I assume the browser acts as client only and the brunt of the CAD runs from the UCCX server?

Silver

CAD-BE runs as a java applet - so it runs on your PC, just within your browser. It offers much of the functionality of CAD, enterprise data etc, but does not allow you to run macros, ipc actions, and so on...

URL:

http:// :6293/cadbe/CAD-BE.jsp

Brian

Super Bronze

Hi

CAD-BE is good, but it's not perfect and doesn't have full feature parity with CAD.

The easy option is to simply extract the CAD install files from the DVD and install those manually from a USB key or similar. That way you can do it in advance of the upgrade if some PCs are unused, or while the server upgrade is in progress.

On 8.5 there is a folder in the root of the DVD/ISO called 'installer'. As I recall you just copy that whole folder somewhere, and run one of the exes in that folder - it prompts for server IP, language etc and generates your MSI files.

Regards

Aaron Harrison

Principal Engineer at Logicalis UK

Please rate helpful posts...

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

That should work!  Here are the instructions for anyone else:

To run the Preconfiguration tool:

1.On the CAD 8.5 installation DVD, navigate to the Installer folder.

2.Copy the Installer folder and all its contents to any location on a Windows PC.

3.In the Installer folder, double-click ConfigureMsi.exe. The Preconfiguration tool starts.

4.When prompted, provide the following information:

Language of the contact center

IP address of the primary Unified CCX server (server 1)

IP address of the backup Unified CCX server (server 2)

(or 'none' if the system is not high availability)

Unified Communications Manager type (CM or CME)

License type (Standard, Enhanced, or Premium)

5.The Preconfiguration tool runs and puts the configured MSI files in the Installer folder. The files created are:

Cisco Agent Desktop.msi

Cisco Supervisor Desktop.msi

Cisco Desktop Administrator.msi

The files are now ready to be used to install the CAD desktop client applications.

Views
Helpful
Replies