Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Adding 2nd URL for "IP Phone Agent"?

Hello All,

UCCX Version 8.0.2.x

I just got through a problem with Errors for having Agents Login through their Desk IP Phone (not CAD), --> "Selected IP phone service is not active.  Select another IP agent phone service".

The problem was that at some point very early in the morning our primary UCCX Server had failed-over, unbenounced to me, to the UCCX Subscriber. This is why the Agents were unable to login to their phones, because they were being directed to the Primary Server which had become the slave at that time. Restarting the "Cisco Unified CCX Engine" fixed the issue.

I read on another post (actually a couple of posts), that for the URL that you use for the AgentLogins, there should be 2 of them. One for the Publisher and one for the Subscriber. But the instruction they give are for older versions then what I am running.

POSTS --> https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2047315

--> https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2041982?referring_site=kapi?referring_site=smartnav

In the CallManager:

Navigating to  "Device > Device Settings > Phone Services > "AgentLogin_NAME", the page is titled "IP Phone Services Configuration"  I can see that there is only one URL listed in the settings (which is for the Publisher UCCX Server). So how can I add a 2nd URL that will direct them to the other server if the Master is "down" and this happens again..?

The Options that I can see for the "AgentLogins" are (below):

The one's listed in BOLD are empty fields, the rest have data...

• Service NameRequired Field:
  • ASCII Service NameRequired Field:
  • Service Description:
    • Service URL:
  • Secure-Service URL:
  • Service CategoryRequired Field:
  • Service TypeRequired Field:
  • Service Vendor:
  • Service Version:

Would the "Secure-Service URL" be where you put the URL to the Subscriber UCCX Server..?

Any thoughts would be great.

Thanks in Advance,

Matt

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super Bronze

Hi

Device/Device Settings/Phone Services. Hit Find and you get a list of all services.

You want to add a new service - i.e. it's not a property of the existing one, but a copy of it with a different display name and different URL (same URL, with the IP or hostname of the other UCCX server).

Regards

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!
5 REPLIES

Re: Adding 2nd URL for "IP Phone Agent"?

Hello Matt,

The best solution is to use SLB on a router or ACE. If you have no suitable devices you can use DNS balancing but in case of one of your CC nodes failure some of your agents will not be logged in with first attempt.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Super Bronze

Re: Adding 2nd URL for "IP Phone Agent"?

Hi

Typically you do one of two things:

1) Preferred - use CAD, for automatic failover :-). IPPA doesn't cope nice with HA really.

2) Use two seperate service URLs - name them CCX - Primary and CCX - Secondary or something similarly obvious. Users need to be trained to pick the 'other' one if they try one and it returns the error you saw.

If you do use a load balancer, it would have to be intelligent enough to check for that 'not active' error rather than just seeing if the port is up, and re-point users to the other service on that basis.

DNS RR would be a bad idea as a result that says 'not active' is still a result, and phones would randomly connect to the inactive service.

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Hey Aaron, thanks for the reply.

How do I go about adding a secondary URL? Is it on the same Page that I described in my original post?

Thanks,

Matt

Super Bronze

Hi

Device/Device Settings/Phone Services. Hit Find and you get a list of all services.

You want to add a new service - i.e. it's not a property of the existing one, but a copy of it with a different display name and different URL (same URL, with the IP or hostname of the other UCCX server).

Regards

Aaron

Hey Aaron, Thanks for the reply.

Yea... I just started thinking the exact same thing. You took the words right outa my mouth lol. Thanks for the confirmation.

So basically have a "AgentLogin" for each person that uses the Publishers address in it. Then make another "AgentLogin_FailOver" or something like that, with the Subscriber address. Then just instruct everyone to use the 2nd one if the 1st one fails...

Thanks Again,

Matt

Views
Helpful
Replies