cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Adding Cisco SNMP MMC snap-in on W2008 ?

geoff
Level 10
Level 10

Wow, I come to add the SNMP snap-in and it's not there. I've done this a hundred times on W2003 so just expected the same business. As you probably remember:

w2003_snmp.jpg

1. Type "mmc" in the Run box

2. Under "Console Root" select File -> Add/Remove Snap-in

3. Find Cisco SNMP and Add. ???? There is no Cisco SNMP snap-in.

Checked the documentation. The usual source of information is the Serviceability Guide.

"Serviceability Best Practices Guide for Cisco Unified ICM/Contact Center Enterprise & Hosted" Release 8.5(1) - Last Updated: June 15, 2011

That's the most recent. Nothing much about 2008.

Does anyone know how to do this? I would love to know how. I already promised the customer I'd have this done as soon as possible, so I've done the CVP servers - that's done in a different way, of course.

Regards,

Geoff

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Geoff,

On WS2008, MMC supports both 64-bit and 32-bit snap-ins.  The CCE 8.5 snap-in is, as is all of CCE code, still 32-bit.  Thus, to access the SNMP configuration snap-in, invoke MMC with the /32 parameter which will allow you to add the Cisco SNMP Agent Management snap-in.

Hope this helps,

-Steve

P.S. Thanks for the tip RE: CVP MIB - I will create a defect for the CVP team to address.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

geoff
Level 10
Level 10

I just received a nice email pointing out this Guide

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cust_contact/contact_center/ipcc_enterprise/ipccenterprise8_0_1/configuration/guide/snmp80ug.pdf

I don't know how I missed seeing that one.

Thanks Amir.

Regards,

Geoff

Actually, that does not help. It talks about adding the service components, but if you use W2008R2 64-bit as I do, SNMP is already installed - a smart move by M$.

Regards,

Geoff

Geoff,

On WS2008, MMC supports both 64-bit and 32-bit snap-ins.  The CCE 8.5 snap-in is, as is all of CCE code, still 32-bit.  Thus, to access the SNMP configuration snap-in, invoke MMC with the /32 parameter which will allow you to add the Cisco SNMP Agent Management snap-in.

Hope this helps,

-Steve

P.S. Thanks for the tip RE: CVP MIB - I will create a defect for the CVP team to address.

Thank you Steven - mmc /32. Correct Answer awarded.

and away we go.

I must say that the MMC configuration under W2008 is a bit flakey. If I do what I previously did with W2003: add the snap in, save the console for reuse - something like CiscoSNMP.msc - and come back and try to open one of the little plus signs on the left, it crashed. I could come back OK. If I tried to edit the properties by right-clicking in the empty space, it crashed. When I saved the properties, it crashed - but the properties were there when I came back. I also tried on my lab machine where I am the domain admin and know the local admin account - still some issues.

I found that I could get through the process OK - just add the snap in, right-click on each row in the RHS and select Properties, Save, OK - and then exit the MMC. Don't bother saving.

Minor inconvenience but a bit freaky the first couple of times the MMC simply disappeared.

Regards,

Geoff

Geoff,

I did some research on this and found that a defect was logged (CSCto47758) and resolved for CCE 9.0(1) that seems to fix this flakiness.  It does not appear that it was approved for 8.5(x) though.  I tried it on 8.5 and saw all the things you noted and then tried the same on 9.0 - most of the problems go away on 9.0 but I had to double-click on the desktop shortcut (created when I saved the console to the desktop) twice to get it to launch. Not sure whether this is 64- vs. 32-bit snap-in weirdness or something in the snap-in itself; this didn't happen on WS2003.

-Steve

Thanks Steve.

It's reassuring to have others experience the same things - it's not great, but it is reassuring. At the very least it means I am not totally incompetent or having visions.   

Happy to hear that 9.0 has fixes. As I said, it's possible to get through the SNMP configuration despite the little anomalies.

Regards,

Geoff

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: