cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Adding Cisco SNMP MMC snap-in on W2008 ?

geoff
Level 10
Level 10

Wow, I come to add the SNMP snap-in and it's not there. I've done this a hundred times on W2003 so just expected the same business. As you probably remember:

w2003_snmp.jpg

1. Type "mmc" in the Run box

2. Under "Console Root" select File -> Add/Remove Snap-in

3. Find Cisco SNMP and Add. ???? There is no Cisco SNMP snap-in.

Checked the documentation. The usual source of information is the Serviceability Guide.

"Serviceability Best Practices Guide for Cisco Unified ICM/Contact Center Enterprise & Hosted" Release 8.5(1) - Last Updated: June 15, 2011

That's the most recent. Nothing much about 2008.

Does anyone know how to do this? I would love to know how. I already promised the customer I'd have this done as soon as possible, so I've done the CVP servers - that's done in a different way, of course.

Regards,

Geoff

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Geoff,

On WS2008, MMC supports both 64-bit and 32-bit snap-ins.  The CCE 8.5 snap-in is, as is all of CCE code, still 32-bit.  Thus, to access the SNMP configuration snap-in, invoke MMC with the /32 parameter which will allow you to add the Cisco SNMP Agent Management snap-in.

Hope this helps,

-Steve

P.S. Thanks for the tip RE: CVP MIB - I will create a defect for the CVP team to address.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

geoff
Level 10
Level 10

I just received a nice email pointing out this Guide

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cust_contact/contact_center/ipcc_enterprise/ipccenterprise8_0_1/configuration/guide/snmp80ug.pdf

I don't know how I missed seeing that one.

Thanks Amir.

Regards,

Geoff

Actually, that does not help. It talks about adding the service components, but if you use W2008R2 64-bit as I do, SNMP is already installed - a smart move by M$.

Regards,

Geoff

Geoff,

On WS2008, MMC supports both 64-bit and 32-bit snap-ins.  The CCE 8.5 snap-in is, as is all of CCE code, still 32-bit.  Thus, to access the SNMP configuration snap-in, invoke MMC with the /32 parameter which will allow you to add the Cisco SNMP Agent Management snap-in.

Hope this helps,

-Steve

P.S. Thanks for the tip RE: CVP MIB - I will create a defect for the CVP team to address.

Thank you Steven - mmc /32. Correct Answer awarded.

and away we go.

I must say that the MMC configuration under W2008 is a bit flakey. If I do what I previously did with W2003: add the snap in, save the console for reuse - something like CiscoSNMP.msc - and come back and try to open one of the little plus signs on the left, it crashed. I could come back OK. If I tried to edit the properties by right-clicking in the empty space, it crashed. When I saved the properties, it crashed - but the properties were there when I came back. I also tried on my lab machine where I am the domain admin and know the local admin account - still some issues.

I found that I could get through the process OK - just add the snap in, right-click on each row in the RHS and select Properties, Save, OK - and then exit the MMC. Don't bother saving.

Minor inconvenience but a bit freaky the first couple of times the MMC simply disappeared.

Regards,

Geoff

Geoff,

I did some research on this and found that a defect was logged (CSCto47758) and resolved for CCE 9.0(1) that seems to fix this flakiness.  It does not appear that it was approved for 8.5(x) though.  I tried it on 8.5 and saw all the things you noted and then tried the same on 9.0 - most of the problems go away on 9.0 but I had to double-click on the desktop shortcut (created when I saved the console to the desktop) twice to get it to launch. Not sure whether this is 64- vs. 32-bit snap-in weirdness or something in the snap-in itself; this didn't happen on WS2003.

-Steve

Thanks Steve.

It's reassuring to have others experience the same things - it's not great, but it is reassuring. At the very least it means I am not totally incompetent or having visions.   

Happy to hear that 9.0 has fixes. As I said, it's possible to get through the SNMP configuration despite the little anomalies.

Regards,

Geoff