cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Community Member

Advanced use of the CRS Editor

hello :)

I have a good programming experience with languages like Visual Basic, perl, C, and so on, but I am new to a programming tool like the CRS Editor.

So, I don't find the way to perform efficiently some operations I used to do in other programming environments.

I'd be very happy to get some help from more experienced users of the CRS Editor.

Can someone tell me if there is a way to ...

- Compare two .aef files

- Get a nicely formatted print copy of a CRS script. When I use the Print Command in the File menu, I get truncated lines, large white space randomly inserted in the text, and some interresting information from the "properties" of some steps are not displayed in the print. So I have to say that I find the "prints" more or less useless.

- Perform some global editing operations like changing every occurrence of a variable's name in the script. Example : I first designed a variable as integer and named it intMyVar. Then, I change my mind and want to use a string variable instead. How can I replace every "intMyVar" by "strMyVar" in the script ?

- Select more than one step at a time and perform cut and paste operations on the selected group of steps

- Toggle a step as "active" (the step is performed) or "inactive" (the step is considered as a comment) in the script.This is useful for testing or debugging the script. The only way I know so far to do this is to delete the step from the script and to define it again later.

Is there a way to gain access to more advanced features in the CRS Editor, or maybe to third party softwares, to edit the CRS scripts ?

Thanks in advance

Kind Regards :)

4 REPLIES
Blue

Re: Advanced use of the CRS Editor

Well, I will try to answer a few of your questions.

1 & 2. There really isn't a tool to compare to .aef files. The only thing I have come up with kind of relates to your second question. What I do is create a new printer of type FILE:(Print to File) (this is in the drop down box on Windows XP in the Add Printer wizard when you select a Locally Attached Printer hit Next and then select Generic and Text Only). Then, in the CRS editor go to File > Print and choose this printer. It will prompt you where to store the file and what to name it. Basically you will have a .txt file and you can use WinDiff or some other tool to compare the .txt files.

3. Unfortunately I can't think of a way to convert all of a single int variable into a string variable. It will require manual configuration.

4. No can do

5. No can do

I don't know of any other 3rd party application that can create or edit .aef files and I highly doubt one exists.

Granted, for an experienced programmer it can be frustrating at times and yes there could be some useability enhancements. However, overall its a user friendly utility as I would say 90% of people writing .aef files are not true programmers.

If you have experience with Java I would suggest using the java steps and writing your own objects if that is the route you want to go. Then you can use alot of the development tools you might normally use to enhance your .aef scripts.

please rate helpful posts.

adignan - berbee

Community Member

hello Andrew

I think that I'll have to change my programming "habits" when I use the CRS Editor, and learn to use it with his existing and missing features.

Your suggestion about Java is interresting, but I don't have enough experience with Java to go this way right now. Even with some Java experience, I think that it may need a good lot of Java programming to achieve the design of such objects. So I really would like to know a lot more about the Java features in the IPCC environment, but it is not possible now.

For now, I'll use the CRS Editor as it is. I agree that it has a really user friendly aspect, because there is certainly a lot of complex programming job "automagically" performed by each "step" of a script, but I regret the lack of some tools. There are some workarounds for some points I mentionned, but I'm really unhappy without a good old listing of my scripts. I didn't mention it in my first post, but I was already "printing" to a file and the print is badly formatted, with long lines being truncated, subflow in and out parameters not listed, and so on. I'm afraid that the maintenance of the scripts may be an issue, if you have to update a script you wrote some time ago, or a script you didn't write yourself.

Anyway, I am discovering the many features of the IPCC scripts , I'll get some new experience and this is always rewarding :-)

I thank you for answering and wish you a nice day

P. Brognon

Community Member

Answers inline

- Compare two .aef files

The only way I know how to do this is the "stare and compare" method. Open the two files at once and expand them. Then look at them. Not much help, I know.

- Get a nicely formatted print copy of a CRS script. When I use the Print Command in the File menu, I get truncated lines, large white space randomly inserted in the text, and some interresting information from the "properties" of some steps are not displayed in the print. So I have to say that I find the "prints" more or less useless.

All true, If you print to a file, you can edit it before sending it to a printer.

- Perform some global editing operations like changing every occurrence of a variable's name in the script. Example : I first designed a variable as integer and named it intMyVar. Then, I change my mind and want to use a string variable instead. How can I replace every "intMyVar" by "strMyVar" in the script ?

No easy way that I know of. Make your variable change and then run script validation to find all of the spots that need to be adjusted.

- Select more than one step at a time and perform cut and paste operations on the selected group of steps

If you need to cut and paste a sub routine repeatedly, create all of your steps under a IF statement. Copy the IF statement.

- Toggle a step as "active" (the step is performed) or "inactive" (the step is considered as a comment) in the script.This is useful for testing or debugging the script. The only way I know so far to do this is to delete the step from the script and to define it again later.

Real easy. Set up a boolean variable "skipStep" as "False" and define it as a Paremeter. Place this before the skippable step.

IF skipStep = False then goto NextStep. True goto SkipStep. Where NextStep is a label before the step and SkipStep is a lable after the step.

When you want to deactivate, go to AppAdmin webpage. Under Applicaitons, look up the associated Application. The Boolean variable is editable right from here. Set it as True.

Community Member

Hello Ross

RP > The only way I know how to do this is the "stare and compare" method.

... This is the central scrutinizer ... (Frank Zappa ... :)

RP > All true, If you print to a file, you can edit it before sending it to a printer.

This editing job is why the "print" feature is not working as I'd like. There is no way to get a well formatted listing of a script. I really miss this, when I want to compare two scripts or to document and archive my work.

RP > [...] Make your variable change and then run script validation [...]

This is a lot of work if you have to replace "something1" by "something2" in a large script.

I'm afraid that the maintenance of large scripts, or scripts you didn't write yourself, may be an issue.

RP > If you need to cut and paste a sub routine repeatedly, create all of your steps under a IF statement.

RP > Copy the IF statement.

A very good idea !

RP > Set up a boolean variable "skipStep" as "False" [...]

RP > IF skipStep = False then goto NextStep. True goto SkipStep. [...]

RP > Where NextStep is a label before the step and SkipStep is a lable after the step.

Your procedure seems to be the only practical one, indeed. I'd like that the CRS editor should offer a simple way to do this.

In a perl script, for example, you simply put a "#" at the beginnig of a line to comment it out, like this

# if ( $newSLO ne $oldSLO )

# {

# $oldSLO = $newSLO;

# push (@SLOutput, $newSLO);

# }

Well ... I'll use the CRS Editor as it is, with its "For" (they are many) and "Against" features.

We are migrating from an analog phone system to a brand new Cisco VoIP solution.

The programming of the IPCC engine, together with the configuration of the Call Manager, opens a lot of powerful roads to explore. We discover possibilities we could't ever dream of with the old PABX.

All in all, it will be a new rewarding experience.

I thank you for answering and wish you a nice day

P. Brognon

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content