Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Any creative ideas for handling call priorities?

Hi

I am looking for creative ideas to help out my customer.  They are using UCCE 8.5.3 with CVP.  They have 3 priority levels: gold (1), silver (3) and bronze (5).  All three levels are handled by the same skill group.  There are times when they have an influx of gold calls which go ahead of silver and bronze in the queue - and therefore bronze keep getting pushed back in the queue.  How can then ensure that bronze calls get serviced within a reasonable time period while still maintaining their prioirties?

Appreciate any creative ideas.

W                  

16 REPLIES
Green

I imagine you are increasing the queue priority for gold and silver so they always jump ahead.

You could count the number of times a call has looped through "all agents are busy" + bit of queue music, and when that exceeds N, increase the queue priority of the call (lower number).

Priorities can be a problem and introduce starvation - as you have noted.

Regards,

Geoff

Hi Geoff,

Can you please provide a link or document for implementing this

Green

Dass Prakash R wrote:

Hi Geoff,

Can you please provide a link or document for implementing this

All we are talking about is Queue Priority. You can set this on a Queue to Skill Group node (default is 5) or you can add a Queue Priority node to your ICM script to change it.

In google, search for "icm scripting and media routing guide 8.0" and then download the PDF ipce80sg.pdf.

Go to page 106 - Adjusting the Priority of a Call in Queue.

Regards,

Geoff

Thanks for your input Geoff.  The # of loops is another good option.  I had thought of something like increasing the priority (lowering the #) after x period of time - which is really the same thing in the long run.  It will probably take some fiddling around.

Cheers

W

I would simplify this a bit.  Ask the customer what they consider a reasonable time (e.x. 20 minutes) and then put a check in your queue that calls which have been waiting longer than 20 minutes their priority gets bumped by one.  That way bronze moves up to silver and silver moves up to gold priority.  You could then have another check at 30 minutes and move everyone up again.

david

Green

David, that's bizarre. I'd like to hear that prompt.

"Please use your touch tone phone to enter the number of minutes you think is a reasonable wait time".

Everyone would press zero.

Regards,

Geoff

LOL I didn't mean the caller customer, but his customer.  Although, yeah that would be a revolutionary way of treating your customers and would make for interesting research to find out what people find reasonable when they have a choice.

david

Green

Shoot - my mistake. But it was an interesting sidebar.

Regards,

Geoff

You guys are a getting VERY creative now!  LOL

But then the gold card members really aren't getting gold card service that they should.  Someone that should be priority is bumped behind a mere bronze card holder that has been in queue for a longer period of time.  The only answer is to increase IVR functionality or increase the number of agents.

Thanks for your input Jim and I totally agree with your point.  In many cases like this, the best solution is to add agents.  However, I can't tell or make my customer do that and am looking for alternative solutions that might help out in the meantime.

A colleague of mine just went through this same exact scenario. This is what we ended up doing… If a low priority call sat for more than 2 minutes it got moved to a higher priority. I know it’s not perfect and it doesn’t “fix” the problem but merely puts a band-aid on it in most cases until you get a large number of calls with a particular priority calling in.

You are stuck my friend. There is nothing you can do programming wise to get around it. You need more agents when it comes to situations like this. Personally I think priority is stupid especially when you have one group of agents handling all the queues or priorities. If you use priority your incoming call pool becomes dynamic so your agent pool should become dynamic as well but managers “your customer” don’t realize this or can’t afford more agents but they still insist priority is a great idea.

That’s my two cents anyway.

Good Luck! You can’t please them all.

Green

Indeed.

Then we get the idea of skill competencies to further muddy the waters. Lets assign these skills to our agents with competencies 1 through 10 and make it even more complicated (well, not in ICM yet, but they are thinking of it with the N-Dimensional Routing).

All of these things look nice, but unless there is a powerful modeling engine you can use to drive calls through the system and visualize what happens with different traffic and agents, you are just whistling Dixie.

The more complicated the routing the less idea anyone has as to what is really happening and what the reports are telling us.

Regards,

Geoff

Re: Any creative ideas for handling call priorities?

Here is a thought set a loop count for the gold queue , for every 10 or 20 calls select 2 to 5 calls from bronze ( if calls in bronze queue ar gratier than"x") and you could do the same with the silver queue, this insures two things. A. You just added to changeable metrics that allow you to throttle up and down until you find the sweet spot & B. Your gold customers are still getting priority even though your sprinkling in a few silver and bronze calls.

If you use global variables you could hand off management of the metrics to a vru driven menu.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

We made a write up for this type of call treatment behaviour at the following link:

http://iwe.cisco.com/web/view-post/post/-/posts?postId=221200274

Feel free to comment on it.

Link doesn't work.

david

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content