Views
Helpful
Replies

Building QA Environment - Mirror of Production

Matthew Berry
Level 1
Level 1

Technologies: ICM 7.1 SR5, CCM 4.1.3 SR4D, CRS 3.5.3, Unity 4.2(1), McAfee 8.5

Scenario: Mid-sized business is building a QA environment that would function as a functional mirror of the production system. We would need the mirroring as much as possible:

- ICM scripts

- ICM configurations

- IVR scripts

- CallManager configurations

- Unity configurations

- Unity mailboxes

Has anyone had experience building a nearly-mirror image system?

Some questions that arise:

- How to keep the two systems in sync, while preserving unique information between both systems (i.e. server names, IPs, etc.)

- Is there documentation on deploying this type of solution?

- Has anyone done anything like this before and, if so, what were the challenges?

We are not building a development environment. Otherwise, we would have built a "dumbed-down" version. This must be as closely mirrored as possible.

Matthew Berry | Solutions Architect, CCIE #26721 (Voice) World Wide Technology, Inc. | +1 612-219-0040 PS Engineering: Innovate & Ignite
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

gpulos
Level 8
Level 8

I've built an entire 'mirror' of my production CCM clusters, ICM cluster, IVR cluster and Unity failover in my lab.

I use them not as a functional mirror but as the testing grounds for updates, upgrades and changes to all of the system components mentioned.

The toughest part IS keeping configuration/data information in sync between the production and lab systems.

I do not allow production network to communicate with my lab so some manual moving of data & configuration is needed to keep systems in 'sync'.

(since i do not allow the networks to communicate with each other, it makes it easier to have the same system names, IP addy's, etc.)

With ICM/IVR, it is pretty simple. Do the configuration on the lab systems and then only copy IVR and ICM scripts from production.

With CCM, a BARS backup is my best way to keep data/configuration updated between my production clusters and my lab clusters.

Unity can use DiRT for virtually the same process as the CCMs; backing up data and restoring to the lab system.

This may be a feasible way for you to meet your needs.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

gpulos
Level 8
Level 8

I've built an entire 'mirror' of my production CCM clusters, ICM cluster, IVR cluster and Unity failover in my lab.

I use them not as a functional mirror but as the testing grounds for updates, upgrades and changes to all of the system components mentioned.

The toughest part IS keeping configuration/data information in sync between the production and lab systems.

I do not allow production network to communicate with my lab so some manual moving of data & configuration is needed to keep systems in 'sync'.

(since i do not allow the networks to communicate with each other, it makes it easier to have the same system names, IP addy's, etc.)

With ICM/IVR, it is pretty simple. Do the configuration on the lab systems and then only copy IVR and ICM scripts from production.

With CCM, a BARS backup is my best way to keep data/configuration updated between my production clusters and my lab clusters.

Unity can use DiRT for virtually the same process as the CCMs; backing up data and restoring to the lab system.

This may be a feasible way for you to meet your needs.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: