Views
Helpful
Replies

CAD Update (8.5). Can we "run as" for administrator rights

alan.ambers
Level 1
Level 1

Hello -

Tonight we are upgrading from UCCX 8.5 SU1 to 8.5 SU2 which will prompt a CAD upgrade.  Our agents are not local administrators.  The last time we did this, we made those users in a security group that was a domain admin and it worked.  At that time, we had Windows XP.  Now with Windows 7, we are having issue pushing down that package with SMS.

Can we instead, log on as the CAD user and start the CAD (right click) with the "run as" and provide admin credentials?  Will it install correctly?

I need to know that this will work for sure, not just "it should".  I know that it should, but software installation can be tricky.

Thanks in advance.

/alan

4 Replies 4

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Alan

It's no different to any other app. If you can 'run as' the installation for any product that requires admin rights and get results then you can do so with this. It's just an MSI.

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Thanks Aaron!  We will be doing it tomorrow morning.

Ok - a couple of other thoughts though - if you don't see the 'run as' option in teh context menu, you might have to use the CLI variant:

runas /user:domain\user "msiexec /i C:\CAD Clients Service Release.msi"

In fact, make sure that you download the 'service pack', not just the base MSI.. it's the service release MSI at this URL:

http://X.X.X.X:6293/TUP/CAD/CAD Clients Service Release.msi

Regards

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Aaron -

As this is the update, not a fresh install we won't be running the MSI (though good catch on the run as.  We "run as" the command prompt and install the MSI that way.

This should just be running the agent and it will check to see if there is an update.

After I posted this, I opened up a TAC case and the engineer set it up in the lab and it worked.

We have 10 agents to do between 7:00 and 7:30 tomorrow morning so I want this to go smoothly.

Thanks again

/alan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: