Views
Helpful
Replies

CAD vs IPPA

ra_jeshkalra_2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Can anybody highlight, what are the PROS and CONS of using CAD over IPPA?

I have IPCCX6.0 Prem version with CCM 4.3 and Unity Unif Messaging integrated with Lotus notes.

2)Do I need to setup port spanning on the Access layer switch for CAD and not for IPPA, for Supervisor to monitor the agent(listed agent conversation,barge-in,conference e.t.c)

3 Replies 3

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The primary advantage is that CAD allows for Computer Telephony Integration (CTI). This allows you to perform call control on the PC and pass data from UCCX to other applications on the PC. The most generic example would probably be passing identifying information such as the ANI information or an account number to the CRM or other customer support system to automatically open the customer record for the agent.

CAD also opens another avenue for recording. You can configure the IP phone to span the RTP streams out the PC port. If the PC running CAD is attached to that port, it can capture the RTP streams and then upload them to the UCCX server to provide to a supervisor for monitoring or recording. This only works for that agent and there are some footnotes surrounding NIC compatibility for passing the 802.1q-tagged packets for another VLAN up to the Windows networking stack and not discarding them in hardware. For non-compatible PCs or CAD in a Citrix/thin-client environment, you still have to do span/rspan port monitoring as you do with IPPA.

Supervisor call intervention features (barge and conference) work with both IPPA and CAD assuming the appropriate CCM user has control of the device.

Hi Jonathan,

I was looking for the same info and your post cleared my doubts :-)

Many Thanks..

Cheers,

Bala.

However, it's only fair to point out the downside of IPPA; The real-time monitor takes up nearly the entire screen of the phone. Therefore, if the agent has the IPPA screen up, any CallerID info cannot be seen. And if the IPPA screen is minimized, there is no way to indicate weather the agent is Ready or Not Ready.