cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can we also pass credentials with the HTTP POST request?

kbenoit33
Level 1
Level 1

So, we are trying to get a voice contact work flow working and we are using the HTTP Action POST request. And we have an issue with the "other" application requiring user authentication.

This is the FIDDLER web debugger webview response:

Not Authorized

HTTP Error 401. The requested resource requires user authentication.

And the FIDDLER TextView:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN""http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">

<HTML><HEAD><TITLE>Not Authorized</TITLE>

<META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" Content="text/html; charset=us-ascii"></HEAD>

<BODY><h2>Not Authorized</h2>

<hr><p>HTTP Error 401. The requested resource requires user authentication.</p>

</BODY></HTML>

So our software devs have been able to replicate the issue by using Fiddler to compose an HTTP POST request and resolve it by including credentials

(a checkbox option) and they are asking if there is a way to pass credentials  along with the request, or an option to "automatically authenticate?"

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Keith

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Anthony Holloway
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You cannot with the default steps.  There is a defect in the implementation that prevents you from using this basic auth notation:

http://user:pass@host.com/

Here is some work that I have done with HTTP Basic Auth that may help you.

Anthony Holloway

Please use the star ratings to help drive great content to the top of searches.

View solution in original post

Hi Both,

I have half the answer for you.

In UCCX 10.0 we'll be introducing a step that will allow for RESTful API calls to be made. This will expand the current GetURLDocument step to allow for free form text input (ex: XML) and also custom HTTP headers configured as key/value pairs. There are also separate fields for username/password which will be populated as Auth Basic. I suspect this will look very similar to POSTER.

HTTPS connectivity is also coming via CSCue13844 which is scheduled to be resolved in 10.0 and will essentially allow for uploading of certificates from HTTPS web services to the tomcat-trust store which UCCX will use.

The above should answer Anthony's question. I'm still waiting on a response from the Desktop PM to see if we can have similar functionality built into the HTTP Action workflows. I'll post again when I have that answer.

As always, feedback on the above is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Ryan

Hi Both,

Here is the second part of the answer. It is currently not on the roadmap to pass credentials (or HTTP headers) in the HTTP Actions configured in CDA for Agent Workflows. We won't be adding significant new features to CAD and checking with the Finesse PM, this is not on the roadmap for Finesse either.

When the HTTP Action is completed in Finesse, a new browser window/tab will open and load the location specified in the action. If this requires authorization, the popup will be presented to the user, the same as if they accessed the page. We won't provide the ability to store these credentials in the action in Finesse and pass these as headers. But, depending on browser configuration, the agent will only have to login to the action location once as the credentials should be cached after this.

HTH.

Thanks,

Ryan

10 Replies 10

Anthony Holloway
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You cannot with the default steps.  There is a defect in the implementation that prevents you from using this basic auth notation:

http://user:pass@host.com/

Here is some work that I have done with HTTP Basic Auth that may help you.

Anthony Holloway

This was extremely helpful!  Would you happen to also know how to complete this without having to manually encode (so we can handle password changes, etc)?  Thanks!!

kbenoit33
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks Anthony for the speedy reply.

Just thinking out loud here .. would be nice to get an official Cisco response regarding whether or not this will be fixed. And when.

Keith

Hi Keith,

Your TAC case made it indirectly to me, but before it did that, Anthony contacted me regarding this directly as well.

I have some ideas of when this will be supported but am confirming with product management from both UCCX (for the scripting piece) and Finesse (for the workflow piece) now. I will let you know as soon as I hear something.

Thanks,

Ryan

kbenoit33
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Ryan,

Thanks for taking the time to respond!

Also, a BIG thanks to Anthony for forwarding this on. Much appreciated.

Keith

kbenoit33 wrote:

Also, a BIG thanks to Anthony for forwarding this on. Much appreciated.

Ryan brought to my attention that I answered, not the question you asked, but a question I thought you asked.  My response has to do with handling HTTP Basic Auth from within a script, and you asked about a CAD workflow action.  My apologies there.  The silver lining is that we now have Cisco looking into both as a result of your post, so kudos to you for raising this issue.

Anthony Holloway

Hi Both,

I have half the answer for you.

In UCCX 10.0 we'll be introducing a step that will allow for RESTful API calls to be made. This will expand the current GetURLDocument step to allow for free form text input (ex: XML) and also custom HTTP headers configured as key/value pairs. There are also separate fields for username/password which will be populated as Auth Basic. I suspect this will look very similar to POSTER.

HTTPS connectivity is also coming via CSCue13844 which is scheduled to be resolved in 10.0 and will essentially allow for uploading of certificates from HTTPS web services to the tomcat-trust store which UCCX will use.

The above should answer Anthony's question. I'm still waiting on a response from the Desktop PM to see if we can have similar functionality built into the HTTP Action workflows. I'll post again when I have that answer.

As always, feedback on the above is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Ryan

Hi Both,

Here is the second part of the answer. It is currently not on the roadmap to pass credentials (or HTTP headers) in the HTTP Actions configured in CDA for Agent Workflows. We won't be adding significant new features to CAD and checking with the Finesse PM, this is not on the roadmap for Finesse either.

When the HTTP Action is completed in Finesse, a new browser window/tab will open and load the location specified in the action. If this requires authorization, the popup will be presented to the user, the same as if they accessed the page. We won't provide the ability to store these credentials in the action in Finesse and pass these as headers. But, depending on browser configuration, the agent will only have to login to the action location once as the credentials should be cached after this.

HTH.

Thanks,

Ryan

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

WOW! Excellent thread here folks

Awesome follow-up from both Ryan and my friend Anthony! +5 each.

This is what makes CSC so great!

Cheers!

Rob

"I don't know how, I don't know when
But you and I will meet again " 

- Tom Petty

kbenoit33
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks Ryan for keeping us in the loop.

Keith

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: