Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CCX 7.0 Question: When Extensions Overlaps Departments Choices

Good Day All

I am looking for guidance here about CCX scripting

I have two customers that might have the same concern, simply: CCX options (department choices) overlaps with their internal extension plan.

For example

Press 1 is for sales … which also is the first digit of group of extensions (1xxx)

Press 2 is for support … which also is the first digit of group of extensions (2xxx)

How can I do this using CCX7.0, the Menu step will only help to povide options.

Is there a way to go around this?

Thanks Guys.

Adham Tahoun

Everyone's tags (3)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: CCX 7.0 Question: When Extensions Overlaps Departments Choic

A simple correction to Jon's comment, otherwise his method is currently the best method.

The single digit menu choices will fall to the Timeout branch.  You can easily direct all Timeouts to Successful with the following label/goto method:

CED = Get Digit String()

Successful

Label Main Menu Successful Input

if (CED.length() == 4)

True

/* Validate extension before redirecting (i.e., don't redirect 9911 ) */

False

/* Menu Choice, only consider first key press, the caller may have fat fingers */

Switch (CED.substring(0, 1))

Timeout

Goto Main Menu Successful Input

Unsuccessful

Anthony Holloway

Please use the star ratings to help drive great content to the top of searches.
6 REPLIES
VIP Super Bronze

You can use a Get Digit String step instead. Allow four-characters worth of input and assign a reasonable timeout. In the Success branch of the Get Digit String step, use a Match step to evaluate the input for single-character values (e.g. 1, 2, 3, 4, etc). The default value would then imply that the user entered multiple digits. You can either attempt a Call Redirect to that directly; or, use the String.length() method to ensure that four characters were provided.

A simple correction to Jon's comment, otherwise his method is currently the best method.

The single digit menu choices will fall to the Timeout branch.  You can easily direct all Timeouts to Successful with the following label/goto method:

CED = Get Digit String()

Successful

Label Main Menu Successful Input

if (CED.length() == 4)

True

/* Validate extension before redirecting (i.e., don't redirect 9911 ) */

False

/* Menu Choice, only consider first key press, the caller may have fat fingers */

Switch (CED.substring(0, 1))

Timeout

Goto Main Menu Successful Input

Unsuccessful

Anthony Holloway

Thanks guys and sorry for being late to reply,

I am now at the customer site, doing an R&D work to finish this task....

Anthony is correct: Get Digit String won't work until you press the whole 4 digits, and you will fall to the timeout branch, which is main problem here:

- Callers will not reach the timeout branch until the retry limit is reached, which is by default is 3, well, I can change this and set it to 1, but If they didn't press anything, they will fall to the timeout branch... and of course, I won't able to match the first digit using substring expression...

any ideas? ...

I am thinking about using an "If statement" that takes back to the main message if no digits were entered....but I still need to hear from you.

Second thing:

If I got the first digit from the timeout branch, how can I forward it to match the departments? any other ideas better than nested if statements ?

If X =1

true

go for sales

false

if X = 2

true go for support

false

if x = 3

Appreciate your help....

Adham

Anthony is correct: Get Digit String won't work until you press the whole 4 digits, and you will fall to the timeout branch, which is main problem here:

- Callers will not reach the timeout branch until the retry limit is reached, which is by default is 3, well, I can change this and set it to 1, but If they didn't press anything, they will fall to the timeout branch... and of course, I won't able to match the first digit using substring expression...

Falling to the Timeout branch should not be considered a failure, but rather one of the possible outcomes.  This is why I have the Goto step in there, sending it to the Successful branch.  So, change your max retries to 0, and handle failures yourself.

I am thinking about using an "If statement" that takes back to the main message if no digits were entered....but I still need to hear from you.

What I would do is include a default option.

Take this example:

Set CED = (CED == "") ? "0" : CED

It says, if no digits were entered, default to 0, otherwise, keep the value the same.  You could certainly just use an If step to check for CED == "" and do something about it, but this way a rotary phone can zero out to the operator.  (or someone on a bluetooth headset, or using OnStar™)

If I got the first digit from the timeout branch, how can I forward it to match the departments? any other ideas better than nested if statements ?

Nope.  Notice I placed the beginnings of a Switch step in there.  Use that like a menu, creating a new branch for each menu option.

Anthony Holloway

Green

Are you building a menu in the style of:

For sales, press 1

For service, press 2

If you know your party's extension, you can dial it at any time.

I personally find this a cumbersome structure that we have inherited from the TDM days. I prefer to have clarity in the top level menu.

For sales, press 1

For service, press 2

To dial an extension, press 3.

Now a timeout (eg. rotary phone) is easily handled - send that to the operator (if you have one) or some skill group. Those who wish to enter an extension go through 3 into a prompt like:

Please enter your party's 4 digit extension.

Now the caller knows exactly how many digits they need to enter. Your scripting can be set to handle min and max correctly.

If you have Unity, you can instead direct the call to the Unity dial by extension handler. Maybe you want dial by name as well, so possibly you could have:

For sales, press 1

For service, press 2

For dial by extension, press 3.

For dial by name, press 4.

3 and 4 go to the appropriate call handlers in Unity.

Regards,

Geoff

Sorry for the delay Anthony, but I couldn't attend to the customer premises in the last few days

Man, its working perfect, thank you very much, not because you only solved my problem, but before that, you taught me something new, If I could give you more than 5, then I would

Excellent help, appreciate your time, and thank you again.

Adham Tahoun

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content