Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Community Member

Changing Collation setting on SQL2008 for UCCE staging

Can someone guide me throught the process of changing the SQL server collation setting on a SQL 2008 server.  We are preparing to upgrade to UCCE to use SQL 2008 instead of SQL 2005 but the SQL team built the server with the wrong collation type.  Is there any easy way to change it?  I have not built any databases yet so I am not worried about losing any data.

Any help would be appreciated.

I get the following error during the install:

[ SEVERE ] - The collation of Microsoft SQL Server on this machine is unsupported. Refer to the Installation Guide and contact your SQL Server administrator.

I found this command on Microsoft's site, but I am not sure how to set it.

Setup /QUIET /ACTION=REBUILDDATABASE /INSTANCENAME=InstanceName

/SQLSYSADMINACCOUNTS=accounts /[ SAPWD= StrongPassword ]

/SQLCOLLATION= Setup /QUIET /ACTION=REBUILDDATABASE /INSTANCENAME=InstanceName
/SQLSYSADMINACCOUNTS=accounts /[ SAPWD= StrongPassword ]
/SQLCOLLATION=

Thanks!

Mike Cairns                   

Everyone's tags (3)
14 REPLIES

Hi,

actually, I am afraid the easiest and cleanest method of doing this would be just go and delete everything and reinstall the SQL Server from scratch, this time using the correct settings. The staging guide for ICM/UCCE contains all the information you need.

G.

Community Member

It takes alot of time to get the SQL team to rebuild a server.  I would love to just start over, but I am limited on time and I need to get this working.  I was just hoping that the community might know of a way of doing it.

I see your frustration; have been there, did that, too. It took me an hour to figure it out, finally, I gave it up.

If you have access to SQL Server installation media, you can do it yourself, it's really easy, provided you have the Staging Guide.

G.

Green

Reinstall used to be (SQL 2000) the way to do it, but I am dead certain you can tell the master database that any new databases created (like ICMDBA does) should use binary sort.

Regards,

Geoff

Re: Changing Collation setting on SQL2008 for UCCE staging

Hi,

well, I still believe the easiest and cleanest way is just go and kill and reinstall, but if you want to fiddle around with command line, Google gave me this:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms179254%28v=sql.100%29.aspx

So in this case, provided you are an Administrator and you've got access to the command line and you do know where the setup program is, just run:

Setup /ACTION=REBUILDDATABASE /INSTANCENAME=Default /SQLCOLLATION=LATIN1_GENERAL_BIN

or:
Setup /ACTION=REBUILDDATABASE /INSTANCENAME=Default /SQLCOLLATION=LATIN1_GENERAL_BIN /SQLSYSADMINACCOUNTS=sa /SAPWD=PasswordofSa

Good luck.

G.

Community Member

Gergely,

Do you happen to know the SQL command to find what the current instance name is?

Mike

Green

You will see it in Management Studio. I bet it's "Default".

Regards,

Geoff

Community Member

It wasn't default, but I found it the name.  I got it working after many hours of experimentation!!!!

Setup /ACTION=REBUILDDATABASE /INSTANCENAME= /SQLCOLLTION=LATIN1_GENERAL_BIN /SQLSYSADMINACCOUNTS=\ /SAPWD=

Thanks for your help!

Green

OK, how do we find the ?

Regards,

Geoff

Community Member

Re: Changing Collation setting on SQL2008 for UCCE staging

I just went to Windows Services and found the SQL Server () as seen below:

I am sure there is a much easier way, such as a SQL command, but this is how I found it quickly.  If there are multiple instances of SQL, then each will have a separate SQL Server service.

Hope this helps!

Mike

Message was edited by: Mike Cairns I also found that when you do this the database is dropped and all users are dropped except the one you run the install under.  I highly suggest a windows service account to run this under that way your DBO isn't @.  This should only be used while staging a server and not on an existing install.  Make sure you read the Microsoft article before you use these commands listed. :) Mike

Community Member

Hi all

I have not been able to find any reference to SQL 2008 in the Cisco documentation , namely the SRND. Can anyone tell me if SQL 2008 is supported for a UCCE 8.5(3) solution?

Thanks

Victor

Green

Not supported - SQL 2005 SP4 32-bit is required.

Regards,

Geoff

Community Member

Thanks Geoff.

Regards,

Victor

Community Member

Hi all,

This is a very useful post. I thought I'd paste in the command I used as there's a spelling mistake in the post I used and I wanted to share that this works using the local admin account.  I can also confirm that this resolved my issue with incorrect collation.

Setup /ACTION=REBUILDDATABASE
/INSTANCENAME=MSSQLSERVER
/SQLCOLLATION=LATIN1_GENERAL_BIN
/SQLSYSADMINACCOUNTS=\ /SAPWD=

Notes:

• remove the carriage returns
  • change the local admin details
  • by default the setup is here C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\SQLServer2008R2

Thanks to Mike and Gergely

Regards,

Mark

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content