cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CRA 3.0 Enhanced or Premium?

Roman Rodichev
Level 7
Level 7

Customer has CRA 3.0. License Update Utility shows Enhanced licensing, but at the same time they have several working scripts that do SQL dips, which should have been allowed only with Premium licensing. Does anyone have any insight into this ? Is it possible that CRA 3.0 wasn't doing strict licensing check and allowed for this. Does this mean that upgrading to UCCX 8 will present an issue with SQL dips if they don't upgrade to Premium licensing? Is it possible that License Update Utility is not accurately displaying licensing?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

James Hawkins
Level 8
Level 8

Hi,

With CRA 3.0 (and 3.1 which is where I got involved) the CRA server could run any type of script step. The licensing was "controlled" by removing the steps inappropriate to the purchased license from the script editor installation package that was downloadable from the server.

This allowed a loophole where anyone who had a Premium version of the script editor install (which was freely given away on the CRA 3.0 training course) could run any type of script step on any CRA 3.x server.

I remember this well as my first ever install was CRA 3.1 Standard and I did play about with some database steps on that server when I had some spare time.

This loophole was removed in version 4.0 and later which checked steps against the installed license when the scripts ran.

I guess that the original installer of your customers system was aware of this loophole and took advantage of it. They will need to upgrade to Premium if they want to continue doing SQL dips.

Looking at your kit list reminds me of how lame the licensing for CRA 3.x was - separate licenses for CAD, IPPA, recording and HR reporting rather than just the "Seats" model used currently. Also when using CAD you had to map a drive from the PC to the CRA server so it could do licensing checks - a complete PITA!

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Clifford McGlamry
Spotlight
Spotlight

CRA 3 is so far beyond EOL, I really don't know what it did or didn't, would or wouldn't allow you to do.

But as far as UCCX v8, you WILL need a premimum license in order to perform an ODBC data query in a script.  You will not have the ability to configure this if you don't have the premium license.

CRS 3 had a concept of an Advanced IVR Port license (or something similar to that name). This was a separate SKU in addition to the Enhanced license. For upgrade purposes with UCSS, if a customer had purchased the Advanced IVR Port license, they are entitled to CCX Premium. If the customer just had CRS Enhanced licenses, they would be entitled to upgrade to CCX Enhanced.

Having said that, good luck getting Cisco Licensing to remember any of this and generating the correct licenses for you. You may need to find the Cisco SO showing that the Advanced IVR Port license was purchased.

Thanks Jonathan, I actually found the original 2002 quote for this project, and it appears that they only had enhanced licenses, see below. Local Cisco SE believes that 3.0 didn't have strict checking of what you could and could not do in the Script Editor. This means they'll need to upgrade to premium licensing if they want to upgrade to 8.

IPCC   Express/Enhanced 3.0 - 20 Agents
MCS-7835H-2.4-CC1MCS 7835H-2400 Server   With P4 2.4, 1GB SDRAM, 2-36.4GB SCSI1
CAB-ACPower Cord,110V1
ICD-3.0-EHN-BS=Bundle -10 Agents, 1   Super, 10 IVR, 1 Hist, 1 Recording1
ICD-3.X-E-AGT11 Cisco Enhanced   Agent Desktops ICD 3.X10
ICD-3.X-E-SUP11 Cisco Enhanced   Supervisor Desktop ICD 3.X1
ICD-3.X-E-HIST11 Cisco Enhanced   Historical Reporting ICD 3.X1
ICD-3.X-E-IVROPT110 Cisco Enhanced IVR   Port Option ICD 3.X10
ICD-3.X-E-REC11 Cisco Enhanced On   Demand Recording Option ICD 3.X1
ICD-3.X-C-PAGT11 Cisco Enhanced   Phone Agent Option ICD 3.X1
CON-SAU-ICD3XEA1IPCC Express Enhanced   Agent Service - additional agents10
CON-SAU-ICD3XEBSIPCC Express Enhanced   Bundle Service1
CON-SNT-MCS-78358x5xNBD Svc, MCS   7835H-2400 ServerWith P4 2.4, 1GB1

James Hawkins
Level 8
Level 8

Hi,

With CRA 3.0 (and 3.1 which is where I got involved) the CRA server could run any type of script step. The licensing was "controlled" by removing the steps inappropriate to the purchased license from the script editor installation package that was downloadable from the server.

This allowed a loophole where anyone who had a Premium version of the script editor install (which was freely given away on the CRA 3.0 training course) could run any type of script step on any CRA 3.x server.

I remember this well as my first ever install was CRA 3.1 Standard and I did play about with some database steps on that server when I had some spare time.

This loophole was removed in version 4.0 and later which checked steps against the installed license when the scripts ran.

I guess that the original installer of your customers system was aware of this loophole and took advantage of it. They will need to upgrade to Premium if they want to continue doing SQL dips.

Looking at your kit list reminds me of how lame the licensing for CRA 3.x was - separate licenses for CAD, IPPA, recording and HR reporting rather than just the "Seats" model used currently. Also when using CAD you had to map a drive from the PC to the CRA server so it could do licensing checks - a complete PITA!

Hope this helps.

Thank you James, that helped!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: