cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CTI Server, CTI OS, CTI Manager

Abdul Salam
Level 1
Level 1

Could you please help me to have a better understanding of these  terms in an ICM perspective. As far as I know CTI manager comes along  with CUCM, But rest of the two are always a confusion for me.

Thanks

Abdul Salam

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Gee, I thought I explained that. What documents have you read on this subject? Maybe I'll work from the outside-in.

An Agent Softphone (like the CTIOS SoftPhone or CAD) is a client of CTIOS.

The mode of operation is as follows: it sends a request and gets back an immediate reply confirming that the parameters of the request were correct; sometime later, it receives an unsolicited event indicating the state has changed at the server. Only on the event does the GUI change - not when the response is received.

It also receives totally unsolicited events (like the call presented event) from the server indicating the obvious.

The CTIOS talks to the CTI Server over a protocol that is public, but you need a Developer's Licence to use it.

The CTI Server talks to the PG over a protocol that is not public.

The PG talks to the Switch or Call Manager over a protocol that is published by the Switch vendor (in the case of CUCM, this is JTAPI).

Regards,

Geoff

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

geoff
Level 10
Level 10

ICM allows you to connect a number of peripherals - ACDs (Avaya, Aspect, Nortel etc), CUCM, IVRs, Media Routers (Dialer, EIM, WIM). The interfacing device is the Peripheral Gateway.

When you use the CUCM Peripheral Gateway, a lower level component called the JTAPI Gateway does the job (using the JTAPI protocol) of talking to the peripheral, and the CUCM side of JTAPI is the CTI Manager.

PGs attempt to normalize the event streams seen by ICM so that it can treat all PGs uniformly. A CTI Server allows clients to talk to the PG, adding a further layer of normalization.

In the first GeoTel implementations, that was the integration point for clients. When you have a bunch of different PGs you don't want to have to build different clients for each one - so building a client against the CTI Server event stream allowed one client that could interface to different PGs.

Because the client interface was difficult to program, another layer was added called the CTI Object Server (CTIOS) which provided an object-oriented paradigm. A client package was supplied - the CTIOS Toolkit - which was much easier to program than that event stream of the CTI Server.

GeoTel/Cisco built clients using the CTIOS Toolkit (SoftPhones) and SpanLink/Calabrio built their CAD (Cisco Agent Desktop) also using the CTIOS Toolkit.

Regards,

Geoff

I would like to know in terms of process communication Could you please help?

What exactly are you asking?

Regards,

Geoff

For a live Contact Center call when exactly CTI server and CTI OS server comes into the picture?

Gee, I thought I explained that. What documents have you read on this subject? Maybe I'll work from the outside-in.

An Agent Softphone (like the CTIOS SoftPhone or CAD) is a client of CTIOS.

The mode of operation is as follows: it sends a request and gets back an immediate reply confirming that the parameters of the request were correct; sometime later, it receives an unsolicited event indicating the state has changed at the server. Only on the event does the GUI change - not when the response is received.

It also receives totally unsolicited events (like the call presented event) from the server indicating the obvious.

The CTIOS talks to the CTI Server over a protocol that is public, but you need a Developer's Licence to use it.

The CTI Server talks to the PG over a protocol that is not public.

The PG talks to the Switch or Call Manager over a protocol that is published by the Switch vendor (in the case of CUCM, this is JTAPI).

Regards,

Geoff

Thanks a lot

hasanul.kabir
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, 

i need i information.

what is Peripheral Gateway (PG) and what its default ID number.

CUCM can be the PG ?

PG works as medium between the ICM and the ACD's(Avaya,Aspect,etc.) or IP-PBX (CUCM). It translate the messages from external language ICM understandable language .

In PG we have multiple processes (PIM, OPC, MDS, PGagent,etc.) each process has one purpose. PIM process is the one which does translation. 

There are multiple types of PG's available in ICM , based on what type of ACD you are using you need to use the corresponding type of PG in the icm side.

in your case if you want to connect to CUCM then you need to use cucm type PG in ICM. 

What you mean by default ID number ?Are you talking about PeripheralID ? 

Hope this clarifies.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: