Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

CUCCX 8.0 - Call monitoring and recording

Hello,

I've worked with desktop-side monitoring and recording on various versions fo CUCCX in the past and have come to the point where this particular solution is not practicle anymore (we would need cordinate with the desktop group to install Cisco-approved NICs, and yes I am aware that there is a workaround but it doesn't work on NICs that do not support promiscuous mode.)

CUCCX supports a server-side method as well, but I have no experience in it and would like to find a how-to document.  Would it work in a mixed network environment?  Any pointers would be helpful.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Super Bronze

Hi

In my experience the 'lack of support for promiscuous mode' NICs is vastly overstated. I've not come accross a single NIC that doesn't work. I suspect that document was written back when NICs were based on valves or something.

Typically the main issues are simple config errors - not doing span-to-pc-port, not daisy chaining PCs, etc.(And on v8.0+ it's usually due to the services falling over, which will ruin things for you whether you use CAD or server-side monitoring!)

RE: server side monitoring - I've worked on some fairly large SPAN based deployments. UCCX is pretty agnostic, you just need to make sure it sees each conversation (and sees each one only once!) using whatever SPAN config you can. It's more a question of how handy you are with networking than anything specific to UCCX.

Regards

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!
Super Bronze

Hi

Re: a document, I've not seen one... just read up on SPAN, RSPAN, and ERSPAN. The config guides for the switches have quite a lot of info on what is/isn't supported as it varies a fair bit based on hardware.

Some info to get you started though : http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.2SX/configuration/guide/span.pdf

The 'best practice' is very topology dependent and if (for example) you are running agents on a WAN site remote from the servers it may not be practical at all.

What kind of NICs are you running on these PCs that don't support promiscuous monitoring?

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!
4 REPLIES
Super Bronze

Hi

In my experience the 'lack of support for promiscuous mode' NICs is vastly overstated. I've not come accross a single NIC that doesn't work. I suspect that document was written back when NICs were based on valves or something.

Typically the main issues are simple config errors - not doing span-to-pc-port, not daisy chaining PCs, etc.(And on v8.0+ it's usually due to the services falling over, which will ruin things for you whether you use CAD or server-side monitoring!)

RE: server side monitoring - I've worked on some fairly large SPAN based deployments. UCCX is pretty agnostic, you just need to make sure it sees each conversation (and sees each one only once!) using whatever SPAN config you can. It's more a question of how handy you are with networking than anything specific to UCCX.

Regards

Aaron

Hey Aaron,

No, actually this is a sincere issue.  I've used the work around on some "non supported" NICs in the past and it works fine (I have a couple of PCs in a lab here on campus and they work fine).  On some NICs it just won't work, and Cisco covers itself by mentioning it.  The other part of the problem is that cordinating desktop-side registry changes is combersome and I would like to get away from it.

Is there a good doc for configuring a SPAN based deployment?

Super Bronze

Hi

Re: a document, I've not seen one... just read up on SPAN, RSPAN, and ERSPAN. The config guides for the switches have quite a lot of info on what is/isn't supported as it varies a fair bit based on hardware.

Some info to get you started though : http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.2SX/configuration/guide/span.pdf

The 'best practice' is very topology dependent and if (for example) you are running agents on a WAN site remote from the servers it may not be practical at all.

What kind of NICs are you running on these PCs that don't support promiscuous monitoring?

Aaron

I had a discussion with Telstrat this morning and the solution they sell definitely sounds like what we're looking for.  Nothing to configure on the network or desktop side, the phone's are configured to send and store a duplicate voice stream to a single server that is accessible by supervisors via web browser.  No silent monitoring, unfortunately, but I think if I set up a system that allows recording for every call it may not actually matter (plus, works for any phone not just call center agents.)  This solution sounds like it resolves 99% of the challenges we're having (scalability, hardware capatibility, scope of responsibility between IT groups, etc.)

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content