Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

CUPC & CAD interoperability

In a CCX 7/CM 7.13/CUP 7.02 on the agent's PC, if we load CUPC first and the CAD - CUPC goes offline and the status cannot be changed.  If we load CAD and then CUPC, it works fine

Any thoughts as to why this would occur?

9 REPLIES
VIP Super Bronze

Re: CUPC & CAD interoperability

The CAD Installation guide states that it does not support coexisting with CUPC.

Agent Desktop controls the telephony activities on the agent's Unified CCX phone line.
Agent Desktop cannot coexist with other applications, such as Cisco Attendant
Console and Cisco Unified Personal Communicator, that attempt to share or control
the agent's Unified CCX phone line.

Cisco CAD Installation Guide for CAD 6.6 for Unified CM

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or

Hi Jonathan,

Just as a matter of curiosity. Aside from documentation, could you elaborate a bit on "why"? I admit that I don't know enough about inner working of CUPC and CCX. If I understand correctly CUPC and CCX will try to control phone using JTAPI.  JTAPI as I understand is "messaging interface". By that I mean that it exchanges messages about phone states. There are no "locks" or "write mode". This means that there is no inherent "single user" restriction in JTAPI. CUPS should see and react to phone state changes initiated by CCX and vice versa. Isn't it actually that there are already _two_ users in CCX controlling the phone - agent and rm user?

Sorry for silly question. Just trying to understand and learn a bit.

Ervins

Super Bronze

Hi

Just to throw a couple of things in:

CUPS - uses CTI/QBE rather than JTAPI to control the phone

UCCX - Uses the RM user for monitoring of the phone state, and any Agent CTI control is actually sent to the UCCX server by CAD, and uses the same instance of JTAPI and the RM user for performing any agent phone control. So there's only one user there...

Regards

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

That make things a bit clearer. I'll look up QBE and see what I can learn from there.

Regarding CCX, I don't quite agree. It that was true then I would not need to add phone as "device dependency" to agent and agent would not need "CTI enabled".  The mechanism as you described works for CCE. There is pguser that does all JTAPI stuff - no "CTI enabled" for agents. IMHO, in CCX, rm user monitors (JTAPI first connection) and there is some CAD process (not really CAD process as such, but anyway) that logs in _on behalf_ of agent using all agent credentials (JTAPI second connection). Overall for CCX there are number_of_logged_in_agents (N) + rm_user (1) simultaneous JTAPI connections.

I might be missing some aspect of CCX, so, please, correct me.

Thank you!

Ervins

PS. To OP - Sorry for hijacking  the thread.

Super Bronze

Hi

You are indeed missing something

Remove an agent from Standard CTI Enabled, then log out and in to the Agent... and marvel as it still works!

You need the device association (for normal CCM stuff - speed dials, ccmuser etc as well obviuosly) so that you can set the 'IPCC Extension' to a line from that device. UCCX then uses that param to determine what it should control for your agent.

Regards

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Excellent! I stand to be corrected!

Thank you, Aaron!

Hmm.... this got me thinking... If agent is not controlling the phone... then, maybe, if I add many phones to agent "device dependency", maybe I could have agents changing their workplace without extension mobility? Or it's just the way RM process is coded (single IPCC extension setting) and there's nothing I can do?

Thank's again!

Ervins

Super Bronze

Yeah, afraid not - you are limited to a single line as the IPCC line per agent, and it can't be shared or anything else complicated... if you have multiple instances of the same line on different devices you'll get problems (e.g. random call control of different phones).

There's a big list of 'stuff you can't do' if you take a look at the release notes for your version of UCCX.

Regards

Aaron

Yeah... I'll stick to extension mobility then.

Aaron - you've been very helpful. Thank you!

Ervins

Super Bronze

Hi

Yeah, it's really the best way...

Please remember to rate helpful replies and mark answered questions that are...

Regards

Aaron

Views
Helpful
Replies