cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CVP srv.xml SIP server groups entries empty on all CVP servers

Ayodeji Okanlawon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Cisco Unified Customer Voice Portal Version: 11.5(1)
Hi we have a deployment of six CVP servers and today observed that we were experience call failures. After looking at CVP error logs, I noticed that CVP call server was unable to connect to servers in the SIP server groups. Upon further investigation I observed that the CVP srv.xml file for all the server groups are empty. These is not a new deployment and has been in production for more than six months. I also observed that all the other CVP call servers except one which went down yesterday are processing calls normally even though their server groups are empty. Does this suggest that CVP loads the entries in memory and restarting the servers forces it to download new configuration from ops console? I redeployed the server groups on the failing CVP server and the srv.xml file has been populated again, however I need to know why this has happened.
 Please chime in. Has anyone seen this behavior before?
Please rate all useful posts
6 Replies 6

Slavik Bialik
Level 7
Level 7

It never happened to me (in UCCE 10.5 / 11.0 / 11.5). Actually, I never used the SIP servers group option in CVP OAMP, I always inserted the XML code manually. The main reason I do this is because I have a multi-tenant UCCE systems and if I insert a SIP server group in CVP OAMP it will insert it those records to all of my CVPs (different customers).

Maybe you experienced some bug in CVP OAMP that deleted the contents of the srv.xml files in all CVPs.

And regarding your question, yes, the content of srv.xml file is loaded to the memory, that's why one of your CVPs still could process calls. If you insert the XML manually like I do, you'll have to restart the "Cisco CVP Call Server" service in order for it to take effect.

Thanks Slavik.

Its rather bizarre! The sip server group entries got deleted on all CVP servers.

I have been able to reproduce this and I now know why this happened.

When I created a new SIP server group, I selected two servers out of the six to deploy the new SIP server groups under call server deployment. After I deployed this change, I observed immediately that the SIP server groups in all the other four call servers were deleted from the srv.xml file.

I am assuming this is a bug!

Thanks for sharing.
So maybe just do like I do, just insert the XML manually and do not use this feature from the CVP OAMP, so it won't happen again. Although now you'll take it under consideration when you're going to use this option in future.

Quick Question, I know we can use SRV records for failover but can we use it to do oad balancing between 10 CVP'S if we use the same priority and weight for all the records.

Secondly I have the following in my SRV file, where exactly do i need to insert the records?

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl" href="http://localhost:8110/stylesheets/srvCLI.xsl" media="tty"?>
<?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl" href="/stylesheets/srv.xsl"?>
<locater xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="srv.xsd">

</locater>

Hi George,

As far as I recall you cannot use it as a load balancer, I tried it a long time ago and it is probably not an option to play with the "priority" like in DNS records.

For that you can use any SIP proxy like the CUSP (Cisco Unified SIP Proxy server).

Regarding where to insert those records. You need to insert it under the "locator" tag.

Here's an example:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl" href="http://localhost:8110/stylesheets/srvCLI.xsl" media="tty"?>
<?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl" href="/stylesheets/srv.xsl"?>
<locater xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="srv.xsd">
    <host name="cucms-group.domain.local">
        <record weight="10" priority="1" destination="10.10.10.10" port="5060" />
        <record weight="10" priority="2" destination="10.10.10.11" port="5060" />
    </host>
</locater>

;)