Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Direct Update of dbo.t_Person in SQL?

I need to make a bazillion updates to the Person table.  Basically, I have a list of new FirstName, LastName, LoginName, LoginNameShadow, Password, LoginEnabled and Description values to change on about 300+ agents.  In a few weeks, it'll be another 1400 agents.

I am a programmer, and that = lazy.  I DO NOT WANT TO SPEND 4 HOURS USING THE AGENT LIST TOOL on the AW when I can write one update query and do it instantly, but I also don't want to screw up the HDSes, the other AW and any Exony boxes sniffing for this data.

Is there any danger in just doing the update in SQL? I'm not talking about changing call details, so there's no "recovery key" to worry about.  It seems like an innocuous data change, and if I ensure the ChangeStamp is also set to GetDate() - I should be OK, right?

What's the worst that could happen?

Thanks!

Chris

UPDATE [asu_awdb].[dbo].[t_Person]
   SET [FirstName]       = real.FirstName     
      ,[LastName]        = real.LastName      
      ,[LoginName]       = real.LoginName     
      ,[LoginNameShadow] = upper( real.LoginName )
      ,[Password]        = NULL      
      ,[Description]     = real.Description   
      ,[ChangeStamp]     = GetDate()   
      FROM t_Person inner join t_Agent on t_Person.PersonID = t_Agent.PersonID

, [loading].[dbo].[RealAgents] real
      WHERE real.id = t_Agent.PeripheralID

Everyone's tags (6)
1 REPLY
Green

Re: Direct Update of dbo.t_Person in SQL?

There is no point in changing the AW db. It can be recreated at any time. The logger is the master. If you write to one logger database, how will you tell the other? How will the Router know the data has changed?

The way the configuration data is changed in ICM is a complex process. What seems like an innocuous PowerBuilder interface to a DB is far from that. The real time path to the Router is essential - that's why you can't change the config if your path is gone (stop the Distributor, for example).

Changes go down to the Router, the Router asks the Logger, the Logger asks SQL. If OK, the Logger tells the Router, the Router is synchronized with its peer so the updates get into the other Logger DB, then the all AWs are told about the update and they change the local AWDB.

You need to play with the Bulk Edit tool. If you learn how to use the text files it can export, pull those into Excel with the Person ID, then manipulate in Excel and write back as a tab-separated file .... Bob's your uncle. I strongly recommend playing with this in your lab system first so you completely understand how the Bulk Edit tool works. It's a little tricky.

Regards,

Geoff

Views
Helpful
Replies