Views
Helpful
Replies

DNS IP address change in cisco Finesse

sathishkumark
Level 1
Level 1

HI All,

I want to change the DNS IP address in Finesse Server, Is it possible to change it without the re-installation? Also, does it have any impact on the Finesse services if I change the DNS IP address on the CLI mode.

On the Release notes, it is saying that it should be given at the time of installation only.

Finesse Version - 9.1

Please assist me on this.

Regards,

Sathish

11 Replies 11

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I am assuming you have Finesse running with UCCE as you did not call out what you are running, and did not say CCX server.

Looking at this guide "set network dns" is not listed as supported on Finesse

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cust_contact/contact_center/finesse/finesse_1001/user/guide/CFIN_BK_CF7BB5C7_00_cisco-finesse-administration-1001/CFIN_BK_CF7BB5C7_00_cisco-finesse-administration-1001_chapter_01101.html

but Finesse is running VOS OS so it is technically available if you want to give it a shot.

HI Chris,

Thanks for your response.

We got the answer from Cisco TAC that we cannot do any modification like IP address/DNS/host name changes on the Finesse server once the installation is done.

So the only option is to reinstall the finesse server if we need to do any modification on these.

Regards,
Sathish

Right, as stated in the document anything not listed would not be supported, however since you have to rebuild anyway might be worth trying it anyway.

Chris

We changed Finesse standalone server hostname and got an issue - finesse cannot receive statuschange info back from cti server. Ended up with snapshot. Also this bug looks relevant to the  issue  -  https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCuq45068/

Deepak Rawat
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Satish,

Yes, it is absolutely possible to change the DNS post installation. You will need to issue the below command:

set network dns primary <New DNS Server IP Address>

set network dns secondary <New DNS Server IP Address>

Please ensure to get the existing License MAC using the command "show status" before changing the DNS information as the License MAC will get changed post that.

Changing the DNS information will not interrupt any services but still as a best practice you should avoid doing it in production.

Regards

Deepak

@Deepak, correct, same commands I provided, still officially unsupported.

What licensing are you referring to on UCCE Finesse? There is no licenses, they are honor code.

HI Deepak,

If i do this then the license MAC will get change as you said then in that case will it impact anything?

Also, can you please tell us whether any cisco document says about this command for Finesse server. Becuase, none of the document says that we can do the changes after the Finesse installation, i may something so please share the document if you have since this will help us. 

Regards,

Sathish

HI Deepak,

i have tested this command in Finesse 10.5(1) and it is working fine, even i am able to login the agents and take the calls without any issue  by using Finesse desktop. But "Installation & Getting Started Guide for 10.5(1) for Finesse" says that Finesse hostname/DNS/IP address changes is not possible after the installation.

Other Requirements and Considerations

•  "Choose the Finesse hostname, domain, and IP address carefully. After you install Finesse, you cannot change these values."

This is getting confused..

In production, i'm using Finesse 9.1.1, even the "Installation & Getting Started Guide for 9.1.1" also saying that these value changes are not possible after the installation.

Not sure whether this version will support this change. 

SO please suggest on this..

Regards,
Sathish

@Sathish did you read the entire chain?  My first answer was pointing out this is UCCE, as with UCCX changing DNS, domain name, etc is perfectly fine.

Hi Sathish,

I just noticed that you are talking about standalone Finesse server and not the co-resident that comes with UCCX. Yes, it is true that the DNS information cannot be changed on Finesse standalone server post installation.

License MAC is also not relevant in this case as it is something for UCCX running co-resident Finesse.

Regards

Deepak

Thanks for the details Deepak..

So in UCCE environment, we cannot change the DNS IP address in Finesse Server(Standalone) after the installation, and the only option is to re-install the Finesse.

Am i correct?

Regards,
Sathish

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: