Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Duplex IPCC, how to check MSSQL DB synchronization and CAD sync?

hello

I have duplex IPCC Enterprise 7.2, how can I check MSSQL DB synchronization between side A and side B?

Also interesting about synchronization of CAD side A and side B?

10 REPLIES

Re: Duplex IPCC, how to check MSSQL DB synchronization and CAD s

Why do I ask these questions?

I have 2 messages that I think aren't normal.

Somebody tell me that it can be the problem of bad DB synchronization.

Also notice, that everything is working fine and there are not any complaints from Agent or Customers

Green

In CAD, there are two types of databases and two types of synchronization.

1. LDAP (Directory Services). Configuration data. The slapd.exe is the executable installed as a service on each side. slurpd.exe is responsible for synchronizing the two LDAPs. From memory, this occurs automatically every 10 mins. Sometimes you can see this error when you attempt manual synchronization, yet the system does it correctly on the next pass automatically. You can check the logs and event viewer.

2. RASS database (for agent logs and call logs). These are MSSQL Desktop Engine DBs on both sides. Replication is done through standard MS SQL replication. You can check to see if it's configured and working. It writes messages in the Event Viewer. If it's broken, you can try the Setup UI and remove it - and then add replication again - it will recreate the DB components for replication. You MUST be logged in as local admin, and not domain admin to rebuild replication otherwise it gets the owners wrong and it will not work - although you can fix it.

The error in the Supervisor Desktop is of a different nature. This is real time data coming from the CTI server or CTIOS server (can't recall which - there are some funny connections. I was once told by TAC that CAD agents get realtime data from CTIOS, but CAD supervisors get realtime data from CTI server, but I never confirmed this).

One thing to check is to run CTIOS and see if the error is also there.

Regards,

Geoff

Thank you for your grand reply.

I have few question:

1) What execution file should I run to run CTIOS on ICM?

2) Can I backup vulnerable parts of IPCC call center? If yes, can you explain the procedure how it possible to do?

Thanks!

Green

Not on ICM. By CTIOS I meant the CTIOS Agent Desktop (Soft Phone) and CTIOS Supervisor Desktop.

Although Cisco say that you cannot mix clients in production (when you bought the software you specified Cisco Agent Desktop), if you have CAD you also have the CTIOS Clients.

I was suggesting that you take the CTIOS install CD, stick it in a couple of test PCs that you also have CAD on, and install Agent and on one and Agent + Supervisor on the other. Perhaps you can examine what the CTIOS Supervisor sees. CAD talks to CTIOS (once upon a time it talked to CTI Server, but that was changed in 6.x if I recall correctly).

I often run the CTIOS clients to validate/isolate problems. If they work correctly, then the problem lies in the Enterprise Server of CAD.

Gosh yes, you can backup lots of bits and pieces. This is an entire topic of itself. This forum is not really the place to give you a comprehensive plan. You need to have a plan, and you can read the ICM docs to help guide you. I'll just throw some ideas up.

You should at least use ICBDBA to make a backup of the config and save it away. In a dynamic environment (adding agents, skills etc) I would think once a week would be OK. ICM has huge redundancy built in, so you are just protecting yourself against that really nasty bug that corrupts the data. I have seen some very weird things happen, and when they do, you wish you had last weeks config to roll back to.

Although your duplex'd Loggers have redundancy, you do need to protect yourself against software problems that corrupt both sides on the DB. See the ICM 7.0 Admin Guide p 5-15. You can make a backup of (say) side A, then if you have to use this you can recover the other side. You should alternate these SQL backups.

The HDS can be backed up using standard SQL backups. If you lose an HDS, you typically have 14 days retention on the Logger. So you have two weeks to build a new HDS, load the SQL DB from the backup, then connect to the Logger. The data that has accumulated will be downloaded to the HDS and it will catch up. This is a pretty sophisticated process. HDS1 and HDS2 are actually different due to the recovery keys so you should back up each one.

You should typically have a monthly backup of the Cisco registry on all core servers. I know Cisco say this - but I wonder if anyone ever used it. Support Tools can do this easily.

At Cisco Networkers there is always a presentation on this topic - Disaster Planning.

You can make a backup of the CAD LDAP using a command line tool that is explained in the CAD Guide. This gives you a backup of workflows, phone books etc.

Regards,

Geoff

Hello, Geof.

I will try to use your advice.

I have one question - Is it critical if I create manual backup of all databases on each side? or I should stop some services before I'll bagin do backup?

Please see attachments. Here are 2 sides.

Side A and Side B.

Can you see is it everything OK with replication on thisservers?

Green

Where is the replication subscription on side B?

Regards,

Geoff

Does this mean that replication was broken or there were not configure any replication?

Can you provide me the material for MSSQL and CAD guide?

I read CAD installation and troublshooting guides but didn't find any useful material about MSSQL replication...

Green

I would log in as the local administrator on the box and use PostInstall.exe to remove replication. Once this has been done, you will see all traces of Pub/Sub removed. Then add replication again, which will recreate all the Pub/Sub bits and bobs. Check again.

Replication does write messages to the Event Log, so I'd clean out the Event Log before applying replication again and then check the Event Log for the appropriate messages.

Regards,

Geoff

Views
Helpful
Replies