Views
Helpful
Replies

EMSTraceMask and debugging

dknov
Level 3
Level 3

Hi everyone,

I am a bit confused regarding using EMSTraceMask registry value and procmon/opctest/rttest/ctitest utilities.

Each one of the utilities has its own way of trace or debug and I believe that EMSTraceMask also influences the trace granularity.

Can't find a Cisco document which compares the two options, so I would appreciate everyone's help in this. Available Cisco docs show some utils tweaked with internal trace commands and some using registry. After doing some experimenting I cannot find consistency about what logs are actually produced.

If you needed to troubleshoot issue, would you need to tweak both? Any references?

Thanks,

David

4 Replies 4

Riccardo Bua
Level 5
Level 5

Hi David,

usually the tools will update the EMSTrace Mask, those tools are:

rtrtrace.exe

opctest the debug option/command

rttest the debug option/command

procmon the trace option/command

Sometimes it might be easier to go in the registry and update it manually without using the tool, hence the reason why you might see those documented.

Hope this helps,

Riccardo

PS. Please rate useful posts accordingly

Riccardo,

Thanks a lot for your repsonse.

Aren't they modiyfing the EMSUserData key and not EMSTraceMask? I believe docs make reference that if you want to make the changes done by those utils permanent you need to modify the EMSTraceMask yourself....

Thanks,

David

Hi David,

all the commands are limited to the running session, up until a process restart is triggered.

If you want to make them permanent you would need to modify the registry indeed(basically node manager is starting the executable in memory and the exe at the start will check the registry settings).

Some change also the EMSUserData, but most truly touch only the trace bit in the EMSTraceMask.

Regards,

Riccardo

Riccardo,

Thanks a lot!

David

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: