Helpful
Replies

Enterprise Data Integration with ICM

Amine-K
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a couple of questions :

1- Which types of enterprise databases can be integrated with ICM ? ODBC ?

If yes, do we have to install the ODBC driver before configuring lookup tables in the Configuration Manager so that we can use the DB lookup node ?

2- Can Application Gateway make a lookup from any type of database ?

Thanks a lot.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

geoff
Level 10
Level 10

DBWorker when installed and configured can only lookup against a Microsoft SQL Server database. You configure the SQL login information (hostname, user and password) in the registry for the Router and configure the table and request in the Config tool and script editor. There are a number of restrictions on DB Lookup.

So, no - you don't have to install any driver. The DBworker process can handle the connection and run the query you configure.

An Application Gateway is a totally different beast.

You can make one of these on Unix in C, on Windows in VB.NET and so on. The protocol between it and ICM is well defined, but the back end can do anything you like - talk to a database, a web service, read a file.

Cisco don't care what it does on that side, as long as it understands requests and responses and supports the heartbeat thread.

The third way of doing an Enterprise DB lookup is from IP IVR or CVP (I'm assuming UCCE). You can write custom Java classes to talk to any database, any web service and so on.

Regards,

Geoff

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

geoff
Level 10
Level 10

DBWorker when installed and configured can only lookup against a Microsoft SQL Server database. You configure the SQL login information (hostname, user and password) in the registry for the Router and configure the table and request in the Config tool and script editor. There are a number of restrictions on DB Lookup.

So, no - you don't have to install any driver. The DBworker process can handle the connection and run the query you configure.

An Application Gateway is a totally different beast.

You can make one of these on Unix in C, on Windows in VB.NET and so on. The protocol between it and ICM is well defined, but the back end can do anything you like - talk to a database, a web service, read a file.

Cisco don't care what it does on that side, as long as it understands requests and responses and supports the heartbeat thread.

The third way of doing an Enterprise DB lookup is from IP IVR or CVP (I'm assuming UCCE). You can write custom Java classes to talk to any database, any web service and so on.

Regards,

Geoff

Hi Geoff,

Thanks for the reply.. I'd like to ask if we Application Gateway is an optional ICM component ? So do we have to buy any license for that ?

Thanks.

I would really not call the "Application Gateway" an "option", since you cannot get one from Cisco. You can buy one from a number of sources, or you can build one yourself. Your ICM licence entitles you to connect to an Application Gateway.

page 46 - "Cisco Customer Contact Solutions Ordering Guide" Agust 2007.

"The Unified CCE Server license entitles the user to deploy all of the necessary components required for Unified CCE voice deployments, specifically:

Application Gateway

..."

Regards,

Geoff

Hello colleagues!

There is one issue. Where can I buy or download Toolkit for developing custom application gataway based services? This Toolkit or examples can be downloaded free or i must buy it?

Thanks for comments.

-- best regards, Igor

Hi Geoff,

I am looking for documentation on Protocol for ICM Application Gateway. I want to evaluate this solution.

I don't see it on CISCO site.

Can you help?

Thank

Sergei

Sergei,

The document you are looking for is called GED-145. In case you don't know, GED stands for "GeoTel Engineering Document". The complete document name is:

"GEOTEL Application Gateway GED-145" written by Larry Johnson (November 1996).

Larry was one of the ex-Stratus engineers who started GeoTel.

I have a copy I can send you if you cannot find this on the Cisco Web site.

Regards,

Geoff

Hi Geoff,

I will be grateful for you if you can send me a copy of this document..

Thanks a lot

Thank you Geoff,

I would greatly appreciate if you can Email it to me: Sergei.Malyshev@Asurion.com

>>to build and release an ICM Gateway you will need a Dev Support Contract, together with the documentation on GED145 you will get also support on your implementation specific needs

I will consider it as logical next step.

We cannot get in touch with our CISCO rep for the last two weeks.

Hi Sergei,

to build and release an ICM Gateway you will need a Dev Support Contract, together with the documentation on GED145 you will get also support on your implementation specific needs.

Regards,

Riccardo

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: