Views
Helpful
Replies

Failed Silent Monitor IPCC Enterprise CTIOS agent software

sjhern
Level 1
Level 1

I have IPCC Enterprise, ICM5 SR8, CTIOS 5.1 sr8

I have been implementing Silent monitoring to all of our remote locations and have had a succues rate of about 50%. I have identical workstations with idenical NIC's but am not able to hear one person, when I can monitor the agent right next to her. On the workstations that work I can run Ethereal and see numerous UPD packets but not on the workstations that cannot be monitored. I have check the Drivers and they are the same, workstations are the same and permissions are the same. They all ahve the same version on WinPCAP and CTIOS. I have set the NPF Kernal setting to AUTO start for the WinPCAP, I have logged in as administrator. still no resolution..

22 Replies 22

That does not help. Its not an issue with it working before and now not. It works for some, and not for others. That is my current issue. Its something to do with the Phone passing the Voice traffic onto the workstation, and the workstation being able to Capture those voice packets and forward them back on to the supervisors workstation.

Looks like you may have the older verison of drivers on the agent desktop machines. If it is Intel NIC cards, make sure to download the right drivers for the same.

In my exprerinece it is better you go with SPANED monitoring rather than desktop monitoring

p.s: rate the positing if it help

My problem is, that I have identical workstations, with Identical NIC's and have the same version of Driver installed on this workstation. In fact, these workstations have the same software image installed on them One of them works, and the other doesnt. On the workstation that doesnt work, I have updated the Driver to the latest version, and have resinstalled CTIOS, Installed the Newest version of WINPCap and am still not seeing any UDP traffic getting to the local workstation. I agree that perhaps the Spanning Port solution would work, however, we have 27 locations and all calls are not in a single gateway distribution, so it would be a large task to accomplish this in a timely manner, plus this solution was purchased with the implication that Desktop monitoring would work. The two NIC cards that I am dealing with are the

intel PRO 1000 MT card

Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller.

I am having the same 50/50 results with each of these NIC cards..

Here is what the problem is. belive me Dsktop monitoring is very new and it has several issues and is not relaible.

Verify that the agent’s PC uses a NIC card that is fully NDIS-compliant (for a procedure to test if a NIC card is NDIS-compliant, see www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/sw/custcosw/ps427/prod_tech_notes_list.html).

Desktop monitoring does not function with some NIC cards.

The Intel PRO/100 and PRO/1000 NIC card series are

unable to detect both voice packets and data packets in a multiple VLAN environment, which prevents desktop monitoring from functioning properly. These NIC cards do not fully support NDIS Promiscuous Mode settings.

p.s: Rate the posign if it helps

missysmith
Level 1
Level 1

We had the exact same problem. The way we found to correct the issue was to Install NetMon Drivers on the PC's. What was happening in our case was that it was filtering the packets therefore not letting us hear the conversation. With installing netmon...it doesn't filter and we were able to hear all of the conversations. You should try it...It worked for us.

Thanks alot for the post.. When you say Netmon Drivers. are you referring the NIC Drivers that have NETMON ability? or is there a NETMON application that will install for you. I will do some research on this but if you have any more insight I would greatly appreciate this,,

Yes the NIC drivers. Netmon driver (nmnt.sys) comes on every build of windows 2000 and XP, but it’s just not installed by default.

There is an executable file that comes with netmon called instdrvr.exe that will install the driver with no user intervention. So we did an SMS push to all the desktops without having to touch all the desktops.

Let me know if it works for you guys.

I have obtained the NETCAP utility,, I am still having an issue locating the NETMON and the exe you referred to but NETCAP appeared to be the function the NETMON uses for capturing the data. I am at the point where I feel so lost in what we have tried and haven't. I am going to retrace all steps and recommendations. I am going to start by simply taking a workstation that works, and replacing it with one that doesnt work now and see if there is a switching or routing issue. then go from there..

Below is a link to a TechNote regarding how to install Network Monitor in Windows 2000

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;243270

I can't seem to find any information regarding the installation of Network Monitor in Windows XP however this link points to using netcap.ext to install it.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q310875

Thanks Jonathan for putting that link there....I hope it helps him..

For XP it is basically the same

start

control panel

network connection

go to the LAN connection

then properties

if it is not already installed

go to Install

protocol

add-Netmon drivers..

and then you will have to restart the computer.

Well, Do to regulations from the DOD we are not allowed to have i386 folders on the workstations so aside from copying the entire i386 folder to the local machine do you know of a quick and easy way other then the quick and easy way listed about to install the Netmon protocol?

Let me get with our own site Microsoft guy and I will get back with you.

Let me get with our own site Microsoft guy and I will get back with you.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: