Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Finesse Load Balancing

In normal case, if the agent is already logged to Finesse primary server. If the primary server goes down, the finesse client would be re-directed to finesse secondary server.

In this scenario, if an agent tries to access Finesse primary server URL he will get error on his page. He has to again manually try secondary finesse server URL. To avoid this scenario, we are planning to implement load balancing (similar to ACE). In this case, agent will access only virtual IP provided to them to access finesse URL. The load balancer would perform health check of both primary and secondary Finesse servers and route the request.

Is there any documentation, which discuss about this scenario. Or any one have implemented this.

Everyone's tags (3)
7 REPLIES

Bumping this to the top to

Bumping this to the top to see if anyone can share any experiences load balancing Finesse.  

I've not seen a load balancer

I've not seen a load balancer infront of the finesse, but i would imagine it should work. The only thing i would test is the failover using the VIP. Please update if you try it and results.

david

The fail over  in Finesse

The fail over  in Finesse would not work with Load balancer infront. We would need some specific PS to achieve the  same. 

I wasn't thinking load

I wasn't thinking load balancing in the sense of distributing the load across the two servers.  The idea would be similar to what Venkatesh described above, simply a health check of the primary finesse server and only redirect to the secondary server when the primary server was down.  

Correct me if I am wrong here, but if the primary finesse server is down agents will only be able to connect to the secondary server if they have the URL correct?  There must be a solution other than providing agents two separate URL's to connect to.

Mark,Yes, usually upon

Mark,

Yes, usually upon failure the url will just return a 404, but I believe in some failures you might get the failover message and be redirected to the second server.

If the load balancer is returning one URL or another based on the health, then yeah I see no problem. Personally, I would configure the load balancer to alternate URLs that way in case of failure only 50% of your agents get redirected.

david

I have first hand experience

I have first hand experience with load balancing Finesse using Hardware Load Balancers (A10's) . We have written directly to the Finesse API and Jabberwerx SDK and load balancer works well so long as you configure sticky sessions and SNAT. DSR does not work. 

The failover component of the native Cisco Finesse WebApplication is contained within the Client stack, the Client receives the  Backup Host string when it connects -> 

JUST AFTER LOGIN YOUR BROWSER WILL RECEIVE AN EVENT SIMILAR TO THIS ONE. 
Ascii Code Key 
\u003c = <        \u003e = >
--------------------------------
"http://localhost/finesse/api/SystemInfo?nocache=1438027025378":{"body":"\u003cSystemInfo\u003e\n  \u003cprimaryNode\u003e\n    \u003chost\u003ePrimaryServer.someDomain.com\u003c/host\u003e\n  \u003c/primaryNode\u003e\n  \u003csecondaryNode\u003e\n    \u003chost\u003eBackupServer.someDomain.com\u003c/host\u003e\n  \u003c/secondaryNode\u003e\n  \u003cstatus\u003eIN_SERVICE\u003c/status\u003e\n  \u003cxmppDomain\u003ePrimaryServer.someDomain.com\u003c/xmppDomain\u003e\n  \u003cxmppPubSubDomain\u003epubsub.PrimaryServer.someDomain.com\u003c/xmppPubSubDomain\u003e\n\u003c/SystemInfo\u003e","DataHash":"3dee

Since you are unable to modify the Backup Server Address, the native Cisco Finesse client will attempt to fail over to the defined backup server IP/Host required at Installation to initialize cluster services. Meaning you can load balance the initial request to the primary server but you would be unable to load balance connections to the backup server. Furthermore I don't believe Cisco officially supports load balancing for Finesse using the Native Cisco Finesse Desktop app, however using the REST API and XMPP SDK they do. 

We have a customers doing

We have a customers doing this today with F5 , without any issues.

As long as the load balancer only redirects the client browser to one of the 2 finesse server urls it will work fine.  The client browser and finesse server have no interaction with the load balancer after that initial request , failover will function fine as well.

The BU hinted at adding this to the finesse documentation in 10.x but I do not see it in there yet.  Perhaps v11 will officially document the support.

Views
Helpful
Replies