Views
Helpful
Replies

How to cancel a file stored on Voice Gateway http client cache

r-marchetti
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I was unable to find a IOS command to delete the .wav file that Voice Gateway (cisco 2821) have downloaded from a server.

It is shown on Cached Entry using "sh http client cache" command, but, even using the freshness command with time of 1 sec, I was unable to automatically/manually delete it.

The problem is that file on the server is changed, but VG still continue to play the old one, because is still in cache.

Thanks for your help.

Best Regards

Roberto

6 Replies 6

b.hsu
Level 5
Level 5

geoff
Level 10
Level 10

When the file was fetched by the VG from the Media Store (web server), the lifetime was already set. Changing it now won't affect it. Does the cache (in show http client cache) indicate that the lifetime is less than the age - it surely must. Post the line from the HTTP cache here to confirm.

One cannot delete the file and one cannot clear the cache (although the rumour is that Cisco have a "hidden" command to do so, but no one seems to know what it is).

Of course, if you reload the router the cache will be cleared - but normally this cannot be done unless you have a maintenance window.

What you can do is issue a command to age the entry for a specific URL past its lifetime. Now when the CVP App Server (assuming this is a CVP question) requests the .WAV file, it will be fetched from the Media Store and be installed in the cache.

I appear to have forgotten the syntax - so let me get back to you through this forum.

Regards,

Geoff

My statement above about aging the URL was wrong. The command I was thinking of is

"audio-prompt load WORD"

were WORD is, for example, "hello.wav" which is at some URL on some web server. It appears to fetch the file again from the web server and installs it in the cache.

I just tried this on my lab gateway and it worked - sort of.

In my cache I had "..../en-us/hello.wav" and "..../es-es/hello.wav" and it just fetched one of them - and I don't know how it chose the one to fetch. It fetched the 'es-es' one and reissuing the command fetched the same one over and over.

When it fetches the file again it will tell you that it's done that and you can see in the cache that the age is now just a few seconds. If you issue a bogus name you will get no error message and (of course) no confirmation.

So it's not perfect - but it is what it is.

Regards,

Geoff

Good info.

What is the best practice when it comes to where to place the .wav files.

If you have a hub site that has a couple media servers and the remote sites doing the queuing. Could you use the hub sites media servers and still queue the call at the remote site? Because it looks like the router caches the prompt even if its not on the local flash, it would be easier to manage all the prompts on the inetput\en-us\apps directory instead of uploading them to the remote routers flash.

The flash is limited in what it can hold. If you can put it in the flash then that is the best place from a performance perspective for the 1st call. The next call reads from cache. We had issues when trying to call up a large wav file from flash. We had to break it up into smaller chunks. Maybe fixed now.

Any webserver close by.

By you always need to pay attnetion to your gateway configuration.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: