cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to spawn and reuse separate browser windows from CAD?

bsayatovic
Level 1
Level 1

I'm currently working to integrate some of our existing web applications with CAD.  My original plan, before I got my hands on CAD, was to spawn new windows from the mbedded browser via targetted hyperlinks or JavaScript.  However, I've learned the hard way that CAD's integrated browser makes every attempt to open a new window in a new tab.  Worse, even if you name your target window, CAD seems to refuse to re-use the previously opened tab but just spawns a new one.

This is quite problematic.  The agents all have two monitors to faciliate more screen real-state and showing information side-by-side.  Forcing all websites to show in CAD's tabs thwarts this.

I've considered launch Internet Explorer as a separate application, instead, but that is a degree mroe complicated in building a dynamic URL.  I believe it would also spawn a new window each time, meaning agents would have to re-log-in every time.

If I disable the integrated browser, will it leverage Internet Explorer on its own?  Or will it just disable HTTP application integration entirely?

(Am I wrong to be entirely frustrated by such a handicapped web environment?)

4 Replies 4

Edward Umansky
Level 4
Level 4

Instead of trying to drive the separate browser window from built-in CAD functions, try writing your own command-line application or script and have it triggered by the CAD desktop workflow. You could then put any logic you like into that external application.

rtrees
Level 4
Level 4

If I may ask, how did you get it to even open a new tab in the integrated browser?  I know you can by clicking on a link on an existing tab, we're trying to spawn a new tab to a specific URL in the integrated browser when a new call comes in.

From the sound of it, he was using javascript inside of the web application to open a new window. This was automatically being forced to open in a new tab by CAD, similar to clicking on a link. There is no method I am aware of to directly instruct CAD to open a request in a new tab.

Man I hope so, seems like it would be a fairly basic function... Of course it is since that is what I need it to do .

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: