cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ICM SQL Gateway - how to have a backup/redundant database setup?

badjelly
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Everyone,

I've currently got an SQL gateway to one database, working fine.

I'd like to set up a second database for redundancy purposes.

The Script Editor Guide says:

"You might want to maintain two copies of the database: one located with each side of the ICM Central Controller. You can then configure the system so that the active side of the Central Controller always accesses the database located with it."

So I should be able to have two databases in use at one time.

However when you go into router registry to set up the machine & login details, the changes made on one router are propagated to the other one. How can I then have two databases if it does this?

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Geotel/ICR/<cust_inst>/RouterX/Router/

CurrentVersion/Configuration/Database

Admittedly I'm trying this at 4.6.2 but I don't know that 5.0 or 7.0 would be any different.

Alternatively if anyone can think of another way to have a redundant setup, I'd love to know.

Cheers,

Lisa.

7 Replies 7

wiwebb
Level 4
Level 4

The access information must be the same, as you have seen with the synchronized registry, but the databases that each Router accesses is determined in Configuration Manager using the Database Lookup Explorer tool.

When you add an entry for Script Table, you have a Side A and a Side B entry, where you enter the Named Pipes path. In that path, you can specify different database servers in each, but the access information must be identical, since this information is synchronized between the Routers. As configured, Router A will connect to the "Side A" entry, and Router B will connect to the "Side B" entry.

You should also see this in the process logs.

So essentially both databases will be active, and having 2 distinct servers will provide additional redundancy.

- Bill

- Bill

Hi Bill,

Thanks for your reply. When you supply the access information in registry, you need to supply the server ip address: \\machine_name\database_name=(user, password)

If this same machine_name is propagated to both RouterA & RouterB then how will RouterB access a different server\database from RouterA? (even though you've configured the different database servers in the Script Table).

Regards,

Lisa.

Ok - I've worked it out. I read the ICM7.0 Notes and it had info in it that wasn't in the info for 4.6.2. It said that I can put more than one database login in the registry key, simply separate them by commas. The tech note for 4.5.2 says you can only have one. But it seems to work fine with 2.

Cheers,

Lisa.

Hi again Bill,

I tried to remove the \\machine_name\ component from the Database login in the Router registry, but DBWorker throws up the error "Unable to Parse SQL Login info string".

I would really appreciate it if you could tell me how you've managed to access both the database servers with this issue of hardcoding only one machine_name into the router registry.

Kind regards,

Lisa.

Hi Lisa -

Good catch on the documentation! I'll have to look into this more - the last one of these I did was only for a single database.

Let me ask this - when you say "remove the \\machine_name", what are you replacing it with?

I'll see what I can come up with...

- Bill

- Bill

Sorry Bill, I did work it out in the end. But I clicked reply to the wrong post so my resolution is a couple of posts back. I found in the ICM7.0 documentation that you can specify two login strings in the registry by separating them with commas. SideA dbworker (even though 4.6.2 tech notes say to use only one) uses one login string and sideB uses the second one. Without the second login string SideB dbworker won't connect to the database configured in the Script table as the registry is specifying the wrong ip address.

Thanks

Lisa.

Ok, and I should have read your post more carefully, because I do remember that entry. Good work finding the answers!

This goes to show again that the ICM/IPCC Enterprise 7.0 doc set is probably the best that the CCBU in Cisco has ever put out.

My new answer is going to be "check the docs"!! ;-)

- Bill

- Bill
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: