Hopefully a quick and easy question/answer; I set a global time parameter for open and closed (1 and 0). In routing scripts, I used the if node (if Global.user.xxx_time=1). I made this script yesterday and it was working. This morning, it was going through the global (admin) script correctly but the routing script was coming up with a not open condition (0). Any ideas?
Check how frequently your admin script runs. Also, use call tracer to verify some of your logic. If you've made changes to the script recently go back to an earlier version that does work and try to retrace your steps.
The script is running all day every day. The logic is very simple. Start -> Time (between 8-5 set 1, otherwise set 0) ->end
In routing script, the if node where it is to check the global time variable is coming up with 0 (closed) when it should be open. I am monitoring the admin script and seeing calls are not even hitting this script, which is set to run all day every day. This same script was working yesterday when I created it. I can't seem to find the database field that houses this value to check it. Any other ideas?
Apparently you are the man, I didn't see the frequency when I was setting it up. It was set for every hour so I guess yesterday when I set it up it was working but wasn't going to work this morning probably for an entire hour after we opened. I was thinking the admin script ran with every call also but runs with a frequency. Thanks for the help
Are you getting this error “Installer User Interface Mode Not Supported. The installer cannot run in this UI mode. To specify the interface mode, use the -i command-line option, followed by the UI mode identifier. The value UI mode identifiers...
The below trick might come handy when you have to add a new node to a cluster but you don't have or is unsure of the security password for the publisher. This procedure has been around for ages.
1) Login into the CLI of the Publisher.