Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

MCS7835-H2 with two RAID

Hi All,

I have the following situation. The Quality Management is running on MCS7835-H2 with  Two Disk of 72-GB SAS in RAID 1 , Is it possible to have a 6 disk 146 GB in RAID 5. You would like add the new six drives as a new RAID 5 logical partition, and would like have to partition these drives in NT assigning new unique drive letters to these new partition(s).

I would like this:

---OS---------------------------------------space extra-----------

RAID 1 (Two Disk 72GB) and RAID 5 (Six Disk 146 GB)

how is that possible?

Anyone can help me?

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Re: MCS7835-H2 with two RAID

Yes, you absolutely can, just use the HP Array Smart or the the IBM utility for Array manangement and you should be able to add the new drives.

david

Santiago,

I don't remember the exact steps, but here's how I would figure it out.

1. Go into the BIOS or use the HP Array Config too and look at your current setup, don't change anything, just try to get an understanding on how it's setup.

2. Turn off server.

3. Remove one of the drives, just in case you make a mistake you can always pop this back in alone and get your system back to the way it was.

3. Insert new drives, but don't insert a new one in the slot for the drive you removed in step 3.

4. Either use the BIOS or the HP Array Config tool to bring your drives online, make the array, partition, etc.

5. Use Windows Drive Management to create the NTFS drive.

Sorry I don't remember the exact steps, but I'm sure you can figure it out.  If not go to the HP site and look up the user's guide.  It's not very hard to do, but since I do it so rarely (about once a year) I don't remember all the steps and have to relearn the procedure every time.

david

It really doesn't matter, however what I always do is take out the first disk.  If something goes wrong, turn off the system and insert the first disk and remove the second one.

david

10 REPLIES

Yes, you absolutely can, just use the HP Array Smart or the the IBM utility for Array manangement and you should be able to add the new drives.

david

Thanks David, I am confused. do you know the steps to add extra drivers in  RAID 5 using array configuration utility?

my idea is to turn off the server first and then Insert the all  new hard disks in the server, then boot the server, but I do not know to access a array configuration utility from BIOS o from boot server, or do I have to access the array configration utility from windows in star>all Programs>HP system tools > HP array config utility?

How should i configure in RAID setup HP array config utility?

I need the  system current do not to be erased , only add extra space in RAID 5.

if I have the controller is already configured but I want to add a New controller or RAID 5 for new disks how I can archieve this with array configur utility?

What are step to add the RAID do I need first add controller Array, Logical drivers, how is the first?

can you help me please?

Best regards.

Santiago,

I don't remember the exact steps, but here's how I would figure it out.

1. Go into the BIOS or use the HP Array Config too and look at your current setup, don't change anything, just try to get an understanding on how it's setup.

2. Turn off server.

3. Remove one of the drives, just in case you make a mistake you can always pop this back in alone and get your system back to the way it was.

3. Insert new drives, but don't insert a new one in the slot for the drive you removed in step 3.

4. Either use the BIOS or the HP Array Config tool to bring your drives online, make the array, partition, etc.

5. Use Windows Drive Management to create the NTFS drive.

Sorry I don't remember the exact steps, but I'm sure you can figure it out.  If not go to the HP site and look up the user's guide.  It's not very hard to do, but since I do it so rarely (about once a year) I don't remember all the steps and have to relearn the procedure every time.

david

Thanks David, I have  more questions, When I removed one Disk of RAID 1  can to be anyone slot 1 o slot 2?

if disaster it happens, the disks that was removed in that place has to put it in slot 1 or slot 2 to recovery the system? Or the disk  it should be in the same position that had until before taking out it ?

can you help me please?

Best regards.

It really doesn't matter, however what I always do is take out the first disk.  If something goes wrong, turn off the system and insert the first disk and remove the second one.

david

Green

I hate to be a wet blanket at this party, but you need to know what you are doing with the RAID configuration utility.

The questions being asked are reasonable and the answers are correct, but a Contact Center server is not the place to try this for the first time. Accidents have happened and file systems have been lost. Ask anyone.

Configuring a RAID 1+0 pair on an HP server for the first time is trivial - it will do it for you. Configuring a second pair is dead easy too - although you may find the Array Configuration Utility at the OS level easier to use than the BIOS one. Since the OS is up, it's safer.

But I would be cautious popping drives, making changes, pushing them back and restarting on a production system if you have never done this before. It's a great technique - but try it on a crash and burn box first.

Regards,

Geoff

Geoff,

Where's your sense of living dangerously?  But I agree, it's a lot easier to bring a system down than you think.  Initialize the wrong drive and you're toast.

david

Hello Geoff, Thanks for your reply, I found that MCS 7835-H2 only support RAID levels 1.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6790/ps5748/ps378/product_data_sheet0900aecd80586038.html

Is this correct? Then I cannot configure RAID?

Best Regards.

Super Bronze

Hi

It builds a RAID1 array, as it is supplied with two disks.

If you add more disks you can do what you like with them for a product like QM.

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!
Green

Actually, the default RAID level in the HP box is 1+0. If you put in 4 drives and make it into an array it will be what Cisco call RAID 10. If you put in two drives it will be RAID 1.

As Aaron says, you can put in more drives - there are 6 slots left.

Put in 6 similar drives and then open HP Array Configuration Utility.

It will see those physical devices and you can do what you like. You could make those 4 of those drives into a RAID 10, you could make all 6 of them into a RAID 5, or you could make all 6 into a huge space by choosing RAID 0 (no redundancy). Take your pick.

Once you have done that, right click on My Computer -> Manage -> Disk Management and make a new drive. Quick format or you will be there all day.

Regards,

Geoff

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content