Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Moving UCCX cluster to different hardware + upgrade

Hi All,

One of our customers is currently running UCCX 7.0.1 HA cluster. They want to upgrade to UCCX 8.0 HA cluster and simultaneously relocate UCCX to a new pair of servers with different IP addresses and server names. As far as I can see from the documentation the change of IP address is supported by both UCCX 7.0.1 and 8.0 but changing server names is not supported by both as well. So I wonder if there is any way to relocate the cluster to the new servers with new server names? What is going to happen if I build the new servers as UCCX 7.0.1 with the new server names and IP addresses and restore the configuration from the old cluster backup? Is it going to work? Will it change the IP addresses and server names back to the old ones? What will happen if I build the new servers as UCCX 8.0 with new server names and IP addresses and try to use the .tar backup file created by PUT upgrade utility from the old UCCX 7.0.1 cluster with the old names and addresses? Has anybody ever tried to do anything from above?

Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi

The reason rename of the host  is not recommended because the change does not go well with the SQL and informix database in UCCX 7.x and 8.x versions respectively.

Mostly when the change is made UCCX and windows will accept new host name but the SQL(MSDE)/informix databases goes into a suspect mode (or will not initiate)  which unfortunately cannot be recovered.

Regards

Anuj

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Anthony Holloway
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You will not be able to restore to a sever that is not configured the same as the server from which the backup was created.

You will need to build your new server in an isolated LAN, with the same name and IP, then run through the name and IP address change process for 8.0(2).

I'm not 100% sure your CUCM needs to be accessible, but I would think it would in order for the restore to be successful.

Well, the problem is - there is no procedure for changing server name for UCCX. In all documentation it is said server name change is not supported. So I wonder if there is any work around. Probably there is none.

The Installation Guide says you can change the hostname, and references the admin guide, but you are correct.  The admin guide does not say how, and in fact says it's not supported, but specifies in 8.0(1).  I think the ability to change the hostname was introduced in 8.0(2).

Well, unfortunately I could not find any information how to change the name, the only information I found was that the name change is not supported. So unfortunately I am afraid I have to take it as a fact - the name can not be changed. Anyway thanks for your help with this.

Hi

The reason rename of the host  is not recommended because the change does not go well with the SQL and informix database in UCCX 7.x and 8.x versions respectively.

Mostly when the change is made UCCX and windows will accept new host name but the SQL(MSDE)/informix databases goes into a suspect mode (or will not initiate)  which unfortunately cannot be recovered.

Regards

Anuj

I am afraid you are right here. Thank you very much for your help.

So can you or can you not change the hostname in UCCX 8?

The docs say you can.

Document: Installing Cisco Unified Contact Center Express Release 8.0(x)

Page: 20

As a side note, this should also warn of using upper case letters and hyphens, as the Informix instance name for a server named AVH-01 will be avh_01_uccx, which confuses Monitoring and Recording 8.0, and confuses admins when creating DSNs to connect to the DB.

Hi Anthony,

Doc defect has been opened up to correct the installation guide, hostname change is not recommended in any version of 8.x

Thanks

Anuj

Hello,

On 8.0.2 is it okay to change the IP address when removing uccx server from LAN to WAN standalone.

Thanks for your help

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: