cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Need advice on configuring help desk after hours call forwarding

shikamarunara
Level 4
Level 4

I'm currently working on configuring a Help Desk Administrator to 1) authenticate users via extension and PIN, 2) record and upload network status messages to CCX for playback in the Help Desk call queue, and 3) accept a digit string that can be referenced by the Help Desk call center script so that after hours calls can be sent to a cell phone instead of a queue.  I've worked through parts 1 and 2 and am mostly done working through 3 but I am having diffiulty uploading the file properly to CCX in a format that is useable by the refering script.  I don't think I'm the first person to think of this, can someone recommend a good reference or example script?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

This document I just wrote might help you...  I wrote it in response to another user, but I think it should help you also...

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-13525

--Joe

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

William Bell
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I am not sure I fully follow requirement #3. I am guessing that you would like the administrator to be able to input an alternate number (could be a cell phone or other extension) that would be used by the contact center script to redirect callers/contacts when certain conditions are met (e.g. ToD, key press, time in queue, other).

One option is to create an application parameter variable and have the use updated it via the AppAdmin web page. Based on context clues, I am guessing this isn't an option.  Since you are uploading a file, then I am thinking you may want the script to store/read information from a file. I have done this in the past using XML file formats.  I have an example here:

http://www.netcraftsmen.net/resources/blogs/using-xml-files-to-control-a-crs-script.html

This isn't an exact replica of your situation but it may give you some ideas.  Others that monitor this forum may have a completely different (and possibly more effective) take on your needs.

HTH.

Regards,

Bill

HTH -Bill (b) http://ucguerrilla.com (t) @ucguerrilla

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

Hi William,

Your assumptions are correct.  The idea is that a Help Desk person should be able to dial into the administrator.  The administrator will prompt them to enter a new phone number.  This string of digits will be stored in a variable called Entered_OnCall_Number.  After that I have to make it so that this string of digits can be used by another script to route calls to it.  So, I'm working through understanding the process of creating files through this interface and I've worked out, with the help of another fine person in these forums, how to create a voice recording and then upload the file to the prompts directory in a specific directory.  Works great, I can play it back and everything.  Now I have to work out how to do the same but with entered digit strings.  Based on the example you posted, it looks like the string needs to be written to an .xml file and my impression is that the .xml file is created and upload manually before I can start working on the script steps?  I do have an .xml file that I can use for this purpose;

XXXXXXXXXXX

Still a bit fuzzy on the set up.

I usually create the XML file when I place the CRS script into production. If you just have one variable, then maybe XML isn't absolutely necessary. I would still use it because it is just how I roll (i.e. it is just faster for me). I had a similar requirement a while back where I was setting up the XML file to support different on-call numbers based on topic areas and days of the week.

Anyway, if using an external file to accomodate "passing" of the on-call variable to the help desk script then the basic idea is:

1. Create the XML file with the default/original value (blank is acceptable if that fits the need)

2. Upload the XML file to the CCX Document repository

3. Build a CRS script (or augment an existing script) that allows the administrator to manage script behavior for on call number.  This script will

• prompt for input,
  • should check for valid input (digit length, etc.),
  • should probably check for dial-plan compliance (e.g. prefix a "9" or "91"),
  • finally, it should write out the new XML file (with new on call value)

4. Update helpdesk CRS script so that it leverages the new XML file when the appropriate conditions are met.

This script will read the XML file, assign the number to a variable, and then use that variable as the number that should be sent to CUCM as the transfer destination.

HTH.

Regards,
Bill

HTH -Bill (b) http://ucguerrilla.com (t) @ucguerrilla

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

Hi Will.

Do you have an example posted on your blog somewhere or can you provide an example?

This document I just wrote might help you...  I wrote it in response to another user, but I think it should help you also...

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-13525

--Joe

Thank you , Joe.  Much obliged.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: