Views
Helpful
Replies

PRI Channel utilization scenerio

George Michaell
Level 1
Level 1

GUYS,

I have a scenario that I need some clarification.

GSM Call--- PRI-----Voice Gateway--- VOIP

Now the question is when a call is connected to the VOIP Network does the channel of the PRI gets vacant or free or it remains occupied till the call is released.

Let me put it in another way, If a call is connected to the VOIP Network and during it was connected the PRI went down, will the call stay connected or it will be dropped.

Second Scenario:

GSM Call--- PRI-----Voice Gateway--- CVP ( 100 IVR Ports License)

Here the question is when we have 30 PRI Channels utilized in an instance and at the same time 31st call comes in what will happened will the call be dropped as there is no free channel available on the PRI??

Looking forward to hear from you

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Chintan Gajjar
Level 8
Level 8

Hi,

Not an expert on T1/E1 PRIs, but when was studying for Certification i learnt:

T1/E1 PRI carries actual digital voice and signalling traffic sent in different timeslots,so if your PRI is down none of call will inbound from that PRI Circuit, and the existing call will fail on that PRI.

So PRI Digital port will be vacant Throughout the call, as its carrying actual voice and signalling.

GSM Call--- PRI-----Voice Gateway--- CVP ( 100 IVR Ports License):

Typically, for E1 CCS and CAS protocols, 30 channels are used as B-channels and 2 channels are used as D-channels.the 2 D-channels are located on timeslots 0 and 16 and the remaining channels are used as B-channels.

so there is no way you PSTN can deliver 31st call on PRI, they are hard coded.

in case of VOIP network, yes if bandwidth is available you can send more packets but for PSTN the ports are Static.

PSTN can drop if calls exceeds the Max ports.

Regards

Chintan

View solution in original post

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The call is connected on the PRI channel and does not get released as that is how it enters your enterprise, if the PRI goes down so that your call.

If 31st call arrives it will receive fast busy as there are no more channels available to accept the call, unless you have other PRIs in the same telco trunk group.

Chris

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Chintan Gajjar
Level 8
Level 8

Hi,

Not an expert on T1/E1 PRIs, but when was studying for Certification i learnt:

T1/E1 PRI carries actual digital voice and signalling traffic sent in different timeslots,so if your PRI is down none of call will inbound from that PRI Circuit, and the existing call will fail on that PRI.

So PRI Digital port will be vacant Throughout the call, as its carrying actual voice and signalling.

GSM Call--- PRI-----Voice Gateway--- CVP ( 100 IVR Ports License):

Typically, for E1 CCS and CAS protocols, 30 channels are used as B-channels and 2 channels are used as D-channels.the 2 D-channels are located on timeslots 0 and 16 and the remaining channels are used as B-channels.

so there is no way you PSTN can deliver 31st call on PRI, they are hard coded.

in case of VOIP network, yes if bandwidth is available you can send more packets but for PSTN the ports are Static.

PSTN can drop if calls exceeds the Max ports.

Regards

Chintan

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The call is connected on the PRI channel and does not get released as that is how it enters your enterprise, if the PRI goes down so that your call.

If 31st call arrives it will receive fast busy as there are no more channels available to accept the call, unless you have other PRIs in the same telco trunk group.

Chris